What were Israel's war aims during the Suez Crisis of 1956?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Also, as a side note, what exactly was Israel going to do with Gaza's Arabs if it would have annexed Gaza? Deport them into the Sinai? Deport them somewhere else? Let them stay where they are and acquire Israeli citizenship?

Citzenship? not possible. I don't think there was a plan.

The Suggestion was when they asked for the west bank that the Arab population would be deported.

Reactions: Futurist

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Further reading has meant less clear about whose idea it was.

Now I think it was Eden Idea for military action and he talked with the french who approached Israel. Israel had earlier maybe (not sure) approached the French about doing something about Nasser.

I

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Like the Israelis cared 3/4 of one tenth of half a percent of a a very small thing what the British and French thought or how pissed of the Arabs would be.,

Israel had it's own agenda.

They would be in possession and why exactly would they withdraw? Condemnation in the UN? I fgtheBirths and French trie dto pressure the Israelis they could always grass them out in the plotting,

Ben Gurion and a lot of the Israeli leadership were expansionist. the Sinai, the West bank, The Golan and southern Lebanon were there starting suggestions when they met the Birtish and French.
So, Israel was going to start a war against Jordan even if Jordan didn't want to fight? If Israel was so hungry for Jordanian territory, why not continue the war against Jordan back in 1949 after Egypt had already made peace with Israel?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Citzenship? not possible. I don't think there was a plan.

The Suggestion was when they asked for the west bank that the Arab population would be deported.
Israel did give its own Arab population citizenship, though. I'm not sure when exactly, though. It might have been in 1966 when military rule over Israel's Arabs ended.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
"what were Israel's war aims during the Suez crisis of 1956"

Surviving ?
Attacking a weaker power with the assistance of two very large powers. Over whelming force.

Destruction of Egypt as military power, Regime change to the puppet regime, conquest of much Sinai, preferably all of it.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Israel did give its own Arab population citizenship, though. I'm not sure when exactly, though. It might have been in 1966 when military rule over Israel's Arabs ended.
After expelling 80% of the population. And taking all property from about half of who remained. There citizenship is very second class. Israel government openly declares it's state of it's Jewish citizens. There is no prospect of Arab representatives ever being included in an Israeli Government. Many Israeli-Arab villages pre-dating the establishment of Israel remain unrecognized.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Further reading has meant less clear about whose idea it was.

Now I think it was Eden Idea for military action and he talked with the french who approached Israel. Israel had earlier maybe (not sure) approached the French about doing something about Nasser.

I
It would be novel if you supported your "I think" with some facts. Care to give us some. If you do some research "I think" you will find it is quite the opposite. Eden was a ditherer - the idea was French, who approached the Israelis and then persuaded Eden, who at first was reticent to involve the Israelis.

This was supposed to be a international waterway (same as the Panama Canal).

"I think" if Eden had acted immediately that Nasser nationalised the Canal, emphasising that he was keeping an international waterway open, he would have succeeded but instead, he fumbled around for months - typically Eden.

However, Eden and his inept action, is a different question to that put by Futurist.

I see no evidence that the Israelis at that stage (Ben Gurion included) had anything other than the limited aim of blunting Egypt militarily and hopefully destabiling Nasser.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
It would be novel if you supported your "I think" with some facts. Care to give us some. If you do some research "I think" you will find it is quite the opposite. Eden was a ditherer - the idea was French, who approached the Israelis and then persuaded Eden, who at first was reticent to involve the Israelis.

This was supposed to be a international waterway (same as the Panama Canal).

"I think" if Eden had acted immediately that Nasser nationalised the Canal, emphasising that he was keeping an international waterway open, he would have succeeded but instead, he fumbled around for months - typically Eden.
The Egyptians were perfectly entitled to Nationalize the canal it was in their country. They were willingly to compensate the shareholders.

Israel was a hostile country that they only had a ceasefire against. That had recently tried to stage a terrorist campaign, Egyptian soil.

I
I see no evidence that the Israelis at that stage (Ben Gurion included) had anything other than the limited aim of blunting Egypt militarily and hopefully destabiling Nasser.

"Before al else, naturally the elimination of Nasser ben Gurion declared but after that he wamted to partition Jordan , teh wets bank going as a autonomous region to Israel, and the eats bank to Iraq, Lebanon would lose it's territory up to the Litani River to Israel".

page 342 Warroirs at the Suez (Donbald Neff)

Just how many times does Israel have to invade it's neighbors and take it's territory before people are willing to admit it was expansionist country? I mean with hindsight it;s prtety easy trend to pick up.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
In fairness to Eden - not something you’ll often read - although Britain and France were major military powers their forces were scattered and not prepared for this sort of action. They could not have acted in the first few weeks, which would have been necessary to present the world with a fait accompli.

There is a “What if?”in this. What problems would Britain and France have faced in the long-term had they seized the Canal Zone?