What were Kaiser Karl's thoughts on Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia in 1914?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do we know what the thoughts of the future Kaiser Karl (ruled 1916 to 1918) on Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia in 1914 were? I'm curious if he supported the idea of going to war with Serbia like Franz Joseph apparently did or whether he was more of a dove like his uncle Franz Ferdinand was.

Also, as a side question, does anyone here know what relations between Karl and his uncle Franz Ferdinand were like before the latter was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914?

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Also, as a side question, does anyone here know what relations between Karl and his uncle Franz Ferdinand were like before the latter was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914?
I haven't seen the first question addressed anywhere. We probably need a real A-H guy such as Tulun to weigh in there.

The second question no doubt was impacted by the fact that the whole Francis Joseph court was rude or "perfunctory" towards Countess Sophie. Zita, the wife of Charles, was surely working hard to fit in and would have slighted Sophie, as they all were, so Ferdinand, I would speculate, would have had to have overcome his hard feelings on Sophie's treatment generally. Likely he had something to overcome from Zita in particular.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I haven't seen the first question addressed anywhere. We probably need a real A-H guy such as Tulun to weigh in there.

The second question no doubt was impacted by the fact that the whole Francis Joseph court was rude or "perfunctory" towards Countess Sophie. Zita, the wife of Charles, was surely working hard to fit in and would have slighted Sophie, as they all were, so Ferdinand, I would speculate, would have had to have overcome his hard feelings on Sophie's treatment generally. Likely he had something to overcome from Zita in particular.
Well, had FF lived, he could threaten to de-morganticize his marriage and put his two sons in the A-H line of succession ahead of Karl if Zita doesn't behave well towards Sophie.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Well, had FF lived, he could threaten to de-morganticize his marriage and put his two sons in the A-H line of succession ahead of Karl if Zita doesn't behave well towards Sophie.

If he was a popular ruler, and managed to keep the Czechs inside a stable Empire, they ought to have let him do WHATEVER HE WANTED in regards to the succession. Agree.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the idea of depriving people of their place in the royal line of succession. That wouldn't be very fair to these people. I mean, if FF would have insisted from the get-go that his marriage to Sophie should be non-morganatic, then FJ would have never approved of this marriage.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For what it's worth, I'm opposed to the general idea of monarchy and also opposed to the idea of morganatic marriage requirements for monarchs. However, this still wouldn't eliminate the fact that FJ refused to give his consent to FF to marry Sophie unless he did so morganatically and that thus going back on this promise after FJ's death would be, shall we say, distasteful?

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
For what it's worth, I'm opposed to the general idea of monarchy and also opposed to the idea of morganatic marriage requirements for monarchs. However, this still wouldn't eliminate the fact that FJ refused to give his consent to FF to marry Sophie unless he did so morganatically and that thus going back on this promise after FJ's death would be, shall we say, distasteful?
The dynasty was in just as a precarious state as the Romanovs'. Both of the dynasties experienced, shall we say, a narrowing of options because of these pro forma concerns about the heredity of mothers of future Kings. All seems a bit silly now that Prince George, whose grandparents are lacking any noble preference that I am aware of, is third in line for the Best Gig in Royalty.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The interesting fact, though, is that both the Romanovs and the Hapsburgs had a lot of eligible princes to succeed to the throne in the event that the main line would have failed. Even nowadays, there are almost 100 people in the line of succession to the former Austro-Hungarian thrones.

As for Prince George, who cares about his lack of royal ancestry? As long as Pippa Middleton (Big A) is his aunt, it's all good! :D