What were some good things King John of England did during his reign?

Aug 2017
Greenland
Most people know of King John, and that he abused his powers that were given to him, and as such, was forced to sign a document called the Magna Carta, which limited royal authority, but I'd like to ask the question, what were some good things that King John did during his reign? Thanks for reading!

May 2013
Hays Kansas (ex Australian)
Most people know of King John, and that he abused his powers that were given to him, and as such, was forced to sign a document called the Magna Carta, which limited royal authority, but I'd like to ask the question, what were some good things that King John did during his reign? Thanks for reading!
He was a very good administrator and well known for his reforms of the legal system

Aug 2013
Italy
He was a very good administrator and well known for his reforms of the legal system
I never knew about this aspect of John's reign. Could you please send details?

In your opinion, was King John loved by at least a part of the English population? Surely some people must have prefered him to the eternal absentee Richard the Lionheart...

Another question...Is it possible that this son of Eleanor of Aquitaine was illegitimate, the fruit of an illicit love affair? John was small, swarthy, and physically resembled none of his brothers...

Aug 2012
He was kind to those with leprosy, and created some hospitals for them.
He also took the effort to learn English, so he could better relate to his subjects, which was uncommon for the time.

May 2013
Hays Kansas (ex Australian)
In your opinion, was King John loved by at least a part of the English population? Surely some people must have prefered him to the eternal absentee Richard the Lionheart...
No I dont believe he was ever well liked. Partly because he nearly destroyed the economy trying to finance his brothers crusade and his own military activities. And partly because the Barons did not like the extra level of control and power he initiated.

Jun 2015
UK
handed out many royal charters for markets and towns.

expanded use of the Pipe Rolls.

I don't see him as that bad, compared to other kings of that era. His son Henry III was as bad, and Richard Lionheart is only ameliorated due to the Crusades (which he technically didn't win).

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
John signed the Magna Carte, even if he had to be forced to.

John was not as good a soldier as his brother Richard, and he lost a lot territory in France, which was actually a good thing in the long, since it forced the Normans in England to focus more on their English lands, and gradually encoured them to become "English". Not something he may have deliberately intended, but in the long run it was good for England.

He also, unlike his brother Richard, ensured he had heirs. The kings of England ultimately descend from John. Not sure if that is good or bad, but it meant less likely that some overseas adventurer would try to sieze a vacant throne, so maybe good thing?