What Were the Longest Lasting Dynasties In Europe?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Oh, I see. Absolutely a valid point, but then again the Romanovs are almost always said to have ruled from 1613 to 1917 (they even celebrated the Tercentary in 1913) despite technically being House of Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov. The term Habsburg Monarchy is used to describe the lands ruled by Habsburg-Lorraine. So, it's a bit murky.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Capetian Dynasty has been probably the most important through European history, with permission of the Habsgurg. However, by the time the Habsburg started to rise in Switzerland, the Capets had been kings of kingdoms for centuries.

Think that the Bourbons are just a branch of the mighty Capetian dynasty.
Yeah, the Bourbons are descended in the male line from a younger son (Robert, Count of Clermont) of French King Louis IX--a Capetian, of course.

I don't think the House of Savoia has been mentioned yet in this Historum thread. They ruled the province of Savoy as Counts and Dukes from 1003 until it became part of France in 1860. Then they ruled as Kings of Italy from 1861 until the last king was deposed in 1946. So a total of about 943 years. The male line is still extant.

The present-day Baron Inchiquin has a male-line descent from Brian Boru of Thomond, who was High King of Ireland from 1002 until 1014.

Oh, I see. Absolutely a valid point, but then again the Romanovs are almost always said to have ruled from 1613 to 1917 (they even celebrated the Tercentary in 1913) despite technically being House of Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov. The term Habsburg Monarchy is used to describe the lands ruled by Habsburg-Lorraine. So, it's a bit murky.

That's true. And the House of Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov in turn is a cadet house of the Oldenburg Dynasty. And the Hapsburgs actually passed through a female, the Empress Maria Theresa. The actual agnatic line is the House of Hapsburg-Lothringen (the House of Lorraine). (As was mentioned in one of the previous posts).

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions