What were the reasons for the French Revolution of 1848.

Oct 2018
Australia
1. freedom of the press, Britain passed Slave Trade Act in 1807 and Representation of the People Act 1832 , and the free press agitated for abolition of slavery and universal suffrage
2. financial crisis in 1846 resulted in a credit squeeze and employers sacked some workers
3. employers failed to invest in new equipment because no credit, domestic prices were artificially higher than imports and imports attracted high tariffs
4. protectionist policies caused bankruptcy of Atlantic coast employers and loss of those jobs
5. bad harvest in 1846 increased price of bread
6. fixed social welfare didn't keep pace with inflation (buying bread)
7. some revolts were successful in recent memory, some revolts were suppressed with bloodshed
8. king Louis Philippe I abdicated in favour of his grandson Philippe d'Orléans, comte de Paris in fear of being executed like his cousin Louis XVI in 1793 after 3 days of street fighting in Paris but motions were put in place to proclaim the second republic
9. 5 March, 1848 the provisional governent (gouvernment provisioire) (elected by the Chamber of Deputies from 2 lists of deputies made by a republican newspaper and a reform newspaper plus 3 journalists plus a worker representative) decreed direct male universal suffrage, a root cause (and on 27 April, 1848 abolition of slavery, but not a cause of the revolution)
10. 23-24 April, 1848 uneducated masses elected a conservative republican Constituent Assembly (Assemblée nationale constituante ) in a general election to draft a new constitution. The people were expecting a radical Constituent Assembly

Oct 2013
Europix
Perhaps a third of Paris was on social welfare. From article French Revolution of 1848
It's the first time I hear about "welfare" in the 1848 revolution context, and generally, related to the mid 19th France. Maybe it's a question of wording (for example the Wiki "welfare" article simply doesn't exists in French).

You made me curious, I'll try to see what's about.

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
A third of Paris on social welfare, perhaps a throw back to the revolution where the need to placate the Paris commune was all important.

Jul 2016
Just outside the Rust Belt
"Once you cut the head off the king, you cannot go back." The Monarchy was weak and had little legitimacy and Louis-Phillipe was in the middle with no support from the ultra-conservatives and the republican liberals. When support collapsed, the moderates were not enough and the Monarchy collapsed again.

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
A third of Paris on social welfare, perhaps a throw back to the revolution where the need to placate the Paris commune was all important.

What i meant was that the original revolution depended on the control of Paris. The Paris commune needed to be fed (which surely was a form of welfare ). Though republics and restorations came and went between 1789 and 1848 all the different administrations were aware of the fickle nature of the Parisian mob. As prices rose and harvests failed between 1846-1848 it is no surprise to learn a third of the citizens of Paris were in receipt of aid.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions