What will the early USA's legacy be?

Feb 2017
Canada
Assuming that the USA is on a decline and will be overtaken as a global superpower by China, how will history look at it's early period - roughly 1776 - present?

Is it possible to look at this period as a coherent whole, or a series of distinct governments?

Has the US been more of a force for good than not? Is it not that simple?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Do you to keep this in North American history or move it to Speculative? If you want to keep it here, we need to edit out "how will history look..." and maybe replace it with "how does history look..."

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Even once China and possibly India will overtake the US, the US will still be viewed as a superpower or at least as a Mega-Great Power. There would still be something admirable about the American experience of initially being such a small country territorially-wise and population-wise and subsequently expanding both its territory and its population up to the point that it became one of the world's most populous countries as well as one of the world's most powerful countries (indeed, the most powerful country in the world for several decades). The US's example in regards to constitutionalism/constitutional government, expanding democracy, and expanding human rights would also be viewed as being rather admirable.

Dec 2017
Florida
The US's example in regards to constitutionalism/constitutional government, expanding democracy, and expanding human rights would also be viewed as being rather admirable.
History would be WAY too good to us if that is actually the case. :D

I hope that history will look on this era as they look on all nations that precede along the path of empire: as a warning. Let America serve as another bright neon light to the future world inhabitants. Let that sign say: "Go back, the path of empire will only bring destruction, regression, and barbarism." I hope they heed it, we certainly didn't.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2017
Canada
Do you to keep this in North American history or move it to Speculative? If you want to keep it here, we need to edit out "how will history look..." and maybe replace it with "how does history look..."
I think this is just semantics - how will it look or how does it look - either way we're looking at a static period that's already occurred. The question isn't about a future historian and how they will look back on the US, it's about the real legacy of the US. Not conjecture.

Reactions: Futurist
Jul 2019
New Jersey
I think the basic premise of this thread is flawed. America will eventually fade away - that is the inevitable destiny of even the greatest nations and empires - but there is an extremely long way before that's going to occur. The early days of America will be viewed as the early days of the Roman Republic are - an era in which an industrious nation pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to become a global titan. Never mind that the real story may be more complicated; that will be history's judgement.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think the basic premise of this thread is flawed. America will eventually fade away - that is the inevitable destiny of even the greatest nations and empires - but there is an extremely long way before that's going to occur. The early days of America will be viewed as the early days of the Roman Republic are - an era in which an industrious nation pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to become a global titan. Never mind that the real story may be more complicated; that will be history's judgement.
I honestly don't see the US fading away short of something extremely unexpected. However, Yes, the US is likely to eventually get eclipsed by China and possibly by India as well by sheer virtue of their extremely massive populations.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
History would be WAY too good to us if that is actually the case. :D

I hope that history will look on this era as they look on all nations that precede along the path of empire: as a warning. Let America serve as another bright neon light to the future world inhabitants. Let that sign say: "Go back, the path of empire will only bring destruction, regression, and barbarism." I hope they heed it, we certainly didn't.
TBH, I think that there's a real public sentiment against "forever wars" nowadays. :)

Reactions: Menshevik

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
I honestly don't see the US fading away short of something extremely unexpected. However, Yes, the US is likely to eventually get eclipsed by China and possibly by India as well by sheer virtue of their extremely massive populations.
I think the US will go very much the same way as Great Britain. Slowly being eclipsed in prestige and power. But definitely able to draw on incredible amounts of influence and state craft when needed

Reactions: Menshevik

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I think this is just semantics - how will it look or how does it look - either way we're looking at a static period that's already occurred. The question isn't about a future historian and how they will look back on the US, it's about the real legacy of the US. Not conjecture.
It's not semantics. I had a reason for asking you. For future reference, if you don't want a thread moved to Speculative, don't write in future tense.