What would be the fastest-growing areas in the US today if Mexico would've kept Texas and Alta California?

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Thanks! :)

Yeah, the existence of the Twin Cities in Minnesota might be a part of Iowa's low population growth rate. That said, though, Iowa simply doesn't appear to have many large cities or even large metropolitan areas. In other words, there just doesn't appear to be much appeal to Iowa for city-dwellers. :( Maybe if global warming ruins the southern part of the US, though, then Iowa would subsequently experience a lot of population growth.

BTW, it looks like the Obama Administration tried to encourage inner-city Blacks from Chicago to settle in Iowa: AFFH Preview: Obama's HUD Takes-Over Dubuque, Iowa | National Review Thus, I guess that not all hope is lost for Iowa! ;)
Iowa certainly doesn't have top 50 metro area.

I would be VERY surprised if Des Moines metro area isn't top 150, though.

When you include all the population within a 45 minute drive of downtown Des Moines, it is easily about 30 percent of the State's population, so just about one million.

For urban people, there are certainly enough amenities "to survive" in Des Moines, while they could be desperate if stuck in Iowa City/Cedar Rapids or the Quad Cities, understood.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Iowa certainly doesn't have top 50 metro area.

I would be VERY surprised if Des Moines metro area isn't top 150, though.

When you include all the population within a 45 minute drive of downtown Des Moines, it is easily about 30 percent of the State's population, so just about one million.

For urban people, there are certainly enough amenities "to survive" in Des Moines, while they could be desperate if stuck in Iowa City/Cedar Rapids or the Quad Cities, understood.
Yes, Des Moines is an exception to this rule--at least if one includes its entire metropolitan area. The other metropolitan areas in Iowa are much smaller, no?

Also, theoretically speaking, Des Moines and its metropolitan area could become as large as the Moscow metropolitan area if enough people will move there, no? I mean, it's capable of sustaining 20 million people, isn't it?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, recall the Maximillian/Carlotta adventures in Mexico?

I wonder, if American government applied pressure on Republic of Texas early in its existence, would Texas rely on loans from France also?

While Maximillian is less likely to become head of an independent Texas, would Texas be the greatest challenge to Monroe Doctrine?

In a scenario where immediately after the Union wins ACW the still mobilized army goes on to occupy some of Eastern Texas, and then offers olive branch to Texas and brings Texas into the American economic orbit, I would expect Kansas and Missouri to have experienced more population growth than in the OTL.

When would Union Pacific be built if San Francisco is either Mexican/Texan or possibly a Russian port? That is a new OP for you.. at no cost haha.
I thought that relying on foreign loans is within the scope of the Monroe Doctrine?

Also, why would the Union Army occupy eastern Texas after the ACW?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
By percentage, I think Iowa's Hispanic population is similar to Missouri? Buchanan County and the Quad Cities in IA have a big black population.
Iowa has a bit more Hispanics than Missouri (5.0% for Iowa and 3.5% for Missouri). Missouri has much, much more Blacks than Iowa has, though:

Historical racial and ethnic demographics of the United States - Wikipedia

BTW, I previously created that article and added a lot of tables to it (though other people then proceeded to add even more tables to this article). :)

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I thought that relying on foreign loans is within the scope of the Monroe Doctrine?

Also, why would the Union Army occupy eastern Texas after the ACW?
Again, Monroe Doctrine. If we (Union post ACW) won't enforce Monroe Doctrine to evict French influence when America is fully mobilized, then the MD is just a scrap of paper.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Again, Monroe Doctrine. If we (Union post ACW) won't enforce Monroe Doctrine to evict French influence when America is fully mobilized, then the MD is just a scrap of paper.
How exactly is occupying eastern Texas going to help with this, though? Is it going to make Texas cut off its financial and economic ties with France?

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
How exactly is occupying eastern Texas going to help with this, though? Is it going to make Texas cut off its financial and economic ties with France?
Texans being Texans, I presumed that force would be necessary to help enlighten the leadership of the benefits of being in the American economic orbit, post war.

Similar History Discussions