What would people think of the late 1990s

Nov 2014
ph
What would people think of the late 90s? It seems that for the West, the late 90s were basically the last period of stability and broad based prosperity, both in the US and Europe. For Western Europe, the late 90s in perspective looked pretty staid and boring compared to the politics today.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Economically prosperous but socially backwards in regards to things such as same-sex marriage, marijuana legalization, and criminal justice.

May 2019
Earth
I remember people being less paranoid about travel back then, and airport security was a lot easier to get through. Also, kids playing outside more rather than sitting on some form of handheld screen. It was easier to find a video rental store on the weekend too. Still holds nostalgia for me...

Mar 2016
Australia
Economically prosperous but socially backwards in regards to things such as same-sex marriage, marijuana legalization, and criminal justice.
One person's "socially backwards" is another's socially acceptable. I wouldn't be so quick to assign your own personal moral beliefs to how an entire generation will be viewed. Things that have been seen as progressive in the past have had their legacies changed into something negative in future generations (e.g. eugenics). It's simply too early to make any definitive generational judgement of the late-90's at the moment.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I remember people being less paranoid about travel back then, and airport security was a lot easier to get through. Also, kids playing outside more rather than sitting on some form of handheld screen. It was easier to find a video rental store on the weekend too. Still holds nostalgia for me...
Times without smart phones were better. Smart phones zombification and idiocy is annoying. Retards should use it as a tool, instead they stare into it for hours each day. I commute with a train and with a book I feel as an alternative as were punkers in start of eighties.

May 2019
Earth
The only thing I'd say is that it seems that anti-social "tools" (for want of a better word) have become more accessible to younger generations these days than back in the late '90s. I don't remember loads of kids sitting around in 1997 reading the newspaper. But I do see kindergarten-age kids today walking around with their noses buried in smartphones. Sure, we had Gameboys back in the 90s, but I just don't recall them ruling our lives as much as tablets and smartphones these days.

That's just my two cents, from my personal recollections of the time.

Mar 2016
Australia
The only thing I'd say is that it seems that anti-social "tools" (for want of a better word) have become more accessible to younger generations these days than back in the late '90s. I don't remember loads of kids sitting around in 1997 reading the newspaper. But I do see kindergarten-age kids today walking around with their noses buried in smartphones. Sure, we had Gameboys back in the 90s, but I just don't recall them ruling our lives as much as tablets and smartphones these days.

That's just my two cents, from my personal recollections of the time.
Not disagreeing with your points. Even though I was born in the late-90's and so technically didn't experience much of it, I still have noticed a very significant change from how kids acted in that era (including the early 2000's) compared to now, and I agree there hasn't been a positive evolution. I just thought your comments reminded me of that meme so I decided to post it. Wasn't really meant to be taken seriously.

Similar History Discussions