What would people think of the late 1990s

Feb 2016
ROK
People said the same thing about kids staying indoors all the time when I was a kid in the 90s. Video and computer games date back to the 70s.
Less people owned game consoles before the 2000s. And I think the modern games are more addictive than the 90s ones. The modern ones certainly take longer to complete and the graphics are much more visually appealing.

Jun 2018
New York
Less people owned game consoles before the 2000s. And I think the modern games are more addictive than the 90s ones. The modern ones certainly take longer to complete and the graphics are much more visually appealing.
Kind of kills the need for imagination.

People said the same thing about kids staying indoors all the time when I was a kid in the 90s. Video and computer games date back to the 70s.

Of course every older person is going to say something along the lines of 'when I was young, we had kids playing outside.' And of course consoles and home computers were on the rise in the 90's. In the current day however you walk into a house, everyone has some sort of device within hands reach. So I think it's fair to say, now more than ever, with everyone looking at a screen, not many kids are going to be playing outside. Especially when they have a whole world in their hands.

I'm also sure this trend will not go away. At least for a long time.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Games are no more addictive today than they were back then. And graphics.....well we really didn't know any better. I occasionally crank the odd 90s game up on an emulator and frankly the graphics are unplayable.....but I recall how good they were back in the day

Mar 2019
Kansas
Of course every older person is going to say something along the lines of 'when I was young, we had kids playing outside.'
And they would be less than truthful. Kids today spend to much time in front of consols etc. In my day it was too much time in front of the TV in my parents day it was too much time in front of the radio.

Jun 2018
New York
And they would be less than truthful. Kids today spend to much time in front of consols etc. In my day it was too much time in front of the TV in my parents day it was too much time in front of the radio.
Older generations have been saying such things about younger generations since at least Ancient Greece. They said it about reading when books were becoming more common, the radio, TV, video games. Just one of those things we as a people gripe about. I think it comes down to change really.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Older generations have been saying such things about younger generations since at least Ancient Greece. They said it about reading when books were becoming more common, the radio, TV, video games. Just one of those things we as a people gripe about. I think it comes down to change really.
Yeah I get tired of the old "Kids today" crap. Or how things were better back when..........Hey I was around back then, and things were not better, just different. And kids today face challenges I am glad I never had to even consider.

Jun 2018
New York
Yeah I get tired of the old "Kids today" crap. Or how things were better back when..........Hey I was around back then, and things were not better, just different. And kids today face challenges I am glad I never had to even consider.
I agree, it is tiresome, everyone faces different hardships throughout the ages, one shouldn't be put over the other or compared. Was the 90's better than today? Maybe in some respects, I think it had slightly better TV shows, or concepts going on, it was the early age of what would become the AAA gaming industry. Politics were just as crazy, there just wasn't the access to keep track and participate like today.

Most people look back at times with rose tinted glasses, that doesn't mean nothing will be gained from looking back though. The 90's had bad things and good things going on. And who knows how people on 100 years will look back on it. Hopefully with interest at the very least.

Y2K will probably be something that is questioned but who knows.