What would you do with your life if you were born in the same place as in real life, but 100 years earlier?

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
1849 in rural North Wales. Farming almost certainly unless there was some access to education. With some education (literacy, numeracy and a knowledge of English in this context I suppose) maybe a job with the railways, not sure what else there would have been on Anglesey. Large scale slate quarrying had got going by then so there were jobs for literate and numerate people elsewhere in North Wales.

Reactions: Futurist

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
It depends. If you're the oldest son with brothers, your chances go way up.
Like I said, only a minority of Men could be spared to serve in the Union army, and only a minoority of soldiers in the Union army were actually drafted, so someon's chances of being drafted were much less than his chances of being more or less shamed by social pressures into volunteering.

If I was born a century before I was, and in the ame place, I might have been in the Union army, but only as a volunteer since I was too young to be drafted. Maybe a drummer boy.

If I had my future knowledge in that era, I might become an early science fiction writer. And I might try advising various governments about ways to avoid future problems.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Work harder, die sooner
And party harder, no? ;)

1849 in rural North Wales. Farming almost certainly unless there was some access to education. With some education (literacy, numeracy and a knowledge of English in this context I suppose) maybe a job with the railways, not sure what else there would have been on Anglesey. Large scale slate quarrying had got going by then so there were jobs for literate and numerate people elsewhere in North Wales.
Would you have considered moving somewhere outside of Wales--say, to England or Scotland or North America or Australia or New Zealand?

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
And party harder, no? ;)

Would you have considered moving somewhere outside of Wales--say, to England or Scotland or North America or Australia or New Zealand?
Leave Wales? 😮 I don’t think I’m the emigrating type, like most people really.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
What about moving to a large Welsh city, such as Cardiff?
At the time North Welsh aka Gogs had much closer connections with Liverpool and Merseyside than they did with South Wales. Although we’re a small country North South communications are dreadful.