Whatever happened to...

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
Ha, it's because they're both separate evolution of the Latin 'dux'. In the vernacular West and the Greek east. I agree it is cool as hell.

We have arch-dukes and even, occasionally, grand dukes here in the West.

Jul 2009
Ha, it's because they're both separate evolution of the Latin 'dux'. In the vernacular West and the Greek east. I agree it is cool as hell.

We have arch-dukes and even, occasionally, grand dukes here in the West.
The only reigning duke-monarch of whom I am aware is the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. There are still family honorifics, or pretensions, for Austrian archduke(s), and also some ancient lines of defunct princely states in in Germany (Grand Duke of Hesse), and family titles in France (duc of so-and-so).

I am not sure about Spain or Italy, and the British dukes are and were all titles rather than the dignity of a reigning monarch. No grand dukes that I can think of.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In Italy [if this country wasn't a Republic] the title of "Granduca" still exists [Granduca is the modern Italian version of "Megaduca", Megas Doux]. But in Italy it's not connected with the Navy [like in the Eastern Roman Empire where he was the admiral of the fleet].

Anyway, if I have to indicate the best Megaduca ... well ... Micheal Palaiologos.

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
The only reigning duke-monarch of whom I am aware is the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. There are still family honorifics, or pretensions, for Austrian archduke(s), and also some ancient lines of defunct princely states in in Germany (Grand Duke of Hesse), and family titles in France (duc of so-and-so).

I am not sure about Spain or Italy, and the British dukes are and were all titles rather than the dignity of a reigning monarch. No grand dukes that I can think of.
Lithuania. Was never properly a Kingdom but a Grand Duchy.

Similar History Discussions