What's going on in Venezuela?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I confess i don't know much about the situation, it is the other side of the world for me, but in the last couple of days they managed to climb onto the headlines even in the old continent..., so things seems to be hot now, some current events going on there.

What's behind Venezuela's political crisis?

Who are the bad and good guys? Who should the "international community" support, or should we take sides at all?

Feb 2017
Canada
As explained to a 5 year old:

- Important government people spent years making bad decisions, and now the country has collapsed because of those decisions.

The long-view, as explained to a 5 year old:

- Important financial people in other countries gave Venezuela loans they couldn't pay back. People became poor and scared and voted for a guy who promised them great things. That person made bad decisions, and now the country has collapsed.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
I confess i don't know much about the situation, it is the other side of the world for me, but in the last couple of days they managed to climb onto the headlines even in the old continent..., so things seems to be hot now, some current events going on there.

Who are the bad and good guys? Who should the "international community" support, or should we take sides at all?
Communists are always bad guys because they only oppress their people and bankrupt states. While proclaiming equality and human rights, they tend to become enormously rich and they brutalize human rights with secret police and fake judicial processes.

Communist babbling is disgusting because their reality is something completely different than their "good wishing".

I hope that international community with USA leading it will remove disgusting communist criminals in Venezuela. I hope for a Gadafi's and Saddam's solution for their gang leader and a bus driver by his country running abilities.

Send bastard some drones or a rocket or ten.

Feb 2017
Canada
3, 2, 1 until this thread turns into an unproductive conversation about communism.

The problems in Venezuela were caused by populism, not communism, and in the long run the economic instability that led to populism was caused by a society that was too stratified between the elite/poor, and an over-reliance on too few economic sectors.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
I have no idea what their reality is but I hear a commie talk from their alpha apes mouths.

Sorry, populism is an empty word which radical left uses to label their opponent's leaders.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
The country hasn't had free and fair elections for a long a time. That seems to be at the root of its current problems.
Add to that communist leaning of the government, and hyper-inflation.
Rest of the problems are similar to other Latin countries: Endemic corruption, laziness, and lack of law and order.

Jun 2012
Brazil

Dan Howard, gave a good answer, the goverment rode the wave of petrolleum, OPEC calculates, that 98% of Venezuela exports come from oil earnings, when oil prices were right, Venezuela had a bit prosperit time, with Hugo chaves, using this prosperit to control economic sectors that were not loyal to him, this created a bigger oil dependence, then the prices moved down, and the President Maduro, didn't had experience, knowlodge of any quality, he was put in place because of his loyalty to Chaves, and you have Venezuela current state.

Similar History Discussions