What's going on in Venezuela?

Sep 2016
Georgia
To the gazelle, anything on the Serengeti with teeth and a hunger for flesh is a threat. But, its not like the gazelle can do anything about it, besides complain. ;)
Judging from how USA let Russia take Crimea in 2014, I would say that your metaphor is not quite true.
A laughing stock... That everyone fears. And complains about. Who nobody has the ability to stop.

Yeah, you guys sure showed them. :p
Don't worry. Your time as superpower will not last forever.

By the way, I heard Vietnam is a good place for a vacation. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
Judging from how USA let Russia take Crimea in 2014, I would say that your metaphor is not quite true.
Not that I'm happy the way previous POTUS dealt with that situation, but Russia has faced crushing financial sanctions since that have drastically weakened their economy.

Besides that, Russia is a nuclear power, risking direct military confrontation with them over something as mundane as Crimea is chancy at best. Venezuela? LOL, conquering them is basically a training exercise. The only thing preventing it is worrying about polls and public opinion and future elections.

Scary, huh? That the only thing stopping most of the world from being conquered is American voting habits.

Don't worry. Your time as superpower will not last forever.
None ever do last forever.

But in the time being the weak will still do what the US says, or face consequences. And when the US is no longer in charge, someone else will replace them, and the weak will do what the next country in charge tells them to. Because that is what the weak do, they obey the strong or face the consequences.

So, I ask you. Are you seriously bragging that your current bully is going to get replaced some day, but other than that nothing changes? :think:

I bet that sounded a lot better in your head before you wrote it, lol.

By the way, I heard Vietnam is a good place for a vacation.
Yep. Amazing enough, many places the US has militarily intervened have turned out reasonably well in the long run. Vietnam was a hell hole until they loosened trade restrictions and economic barriers in their country, made nice with the US (against common enemy, China), and are getting better and freer every year. Venezuela would be so lucky.

Jul 2016
USA
'
Yeah, more like the 'Strongest Man on the Planet' on a circus.
Yeah. Because that's what we're talking about, right? We're talking about someone entertaining others.

Or are posters here seriously worried (rightfully too) that the US military is going to conduct an operation that would likely result in the death of hundreds, if not thousands, of human beings and dramatically alter the balance of power in the Americas?

So funny!

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yeah. Because that's what we're talking about, right? We're talking about someone entertaining others.

Or are posters here seriously worried (rightfully too) that the US military is going to conduct an operation that would likely result in the death of hundreds, if not thousands, of human beings and dramatically alter the balance of power in the Americas?

So funny!

aggienation,

Please rein it in. The comments may seem laughable and born of an irrational anti-Americanism common in certain sections of Europe and the Middle East, but this thread is in the Chamber, and sarcasm and mocking are not allowed here.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
Not that I'm happy the way previous POTUS dealt with that situation, but Russia has faced crushing financial sanctions since that have drastically weakened their economy.

Besides that, Russia is a nuclear power, risking direct military confrontation with them over something as mundane as Crimea is chancy at best. Venezuela? LOL, conquering them is basically a training exercise. The only thing preventing it is worrying about polls and public opinion and future elections.

Scary, huh? That the only thing stopping most of the world from being conquered is American voting habits.

None ever do last forever.

But in the time being the weak will still do what the US says, or face consequences. And when the US is no longer in charge, someone else will replace them, and the weak will do what the next country in charge tells them to. Because that is what the weak do, they obey the strong or face the consequences.

So, I ask you. Are you seriously bragging that your current bully is going to get replaced some day, but other than that nothing changes? :think:

Yep. Amazing enough, many places the US has militarily intervened have turned out reasonably well in the long run. Vietnam was a hell hole until they loosened trade restrictions and economic barriers in their country, made nice with the US (against common enemy, China), and are getting better and freer every year. Venezuela would be so lucky.
Better USA than China or anyone else.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Hello ? USA lost in Vietnam. North Vietnam than swallowed South Vietnam and Communism won. You weren't able to defend South Vietnam.

What about Iraq ? Turned reasonably well in long run ? What about Libya ? Turned our reasonably well in the long run ? Will Afghanistan turn out reasonably well in the long run ?

Are you an idiot ? You were bragging about being a bully.

So what that bully will get replaced ? Fact is, that it won't be you anymore. That was my point.

How arrogant and ignorant are you ?

So was Russia destroyed ? How crushing were financial sanctions ? Do you even know what is situation In Russia right now ?

You don't know anything about Russia. I'm 100 % sure. What the hell are you going to tell us ?

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
The comments may seem laughable and born of an irrational anti-Americanism common in certain sections of Europe and the Middle East
There was no anti-Americanism in my comments. aggienation said that USA is the only country in the world who can invade and occupy other nations. From those words, you can make reasonable conclusion that USA is the greatest potential threat to rest of the world. Then I responded to his next comments, that their era won't last forever and pointed some examples where they weren't able to show their power.

Similar History Discussions