What's going on in Venezuela?

Jul 2017
Europe
The USA better keep their eyes on it, as they do not want a Russian presence too close to them
As I said in my previous post, I’m afraid that a proxy war between Russia and America is possible in Venezuela. On a second thought, most of the Latin America is in the U.S. sphere of influence and Russia knows it would be hard to influence any sort of changes there, unlike in Syria who was a Russian ally for decades and they had military base there which they had to protect by all means.

Russia doesn’t have any geopolitical interests in Venezuela except to cheese off Americans, and I doubt they would go as far as using military force there.

Mar 2019
Amsterdam
The short answer is a revolution against the current government. People are fed up with the current political situations that have caused skyrocketing hyperinflation, power cuts and shortages of food and medicine. In addition, more than 3 million Venezuelans left the country in recent years to look for a better life. Which caused a political situation where the country has 2 leaders. One is Juan Guaidó, who self-declared an acting president with majority supporters being the angry citizens of Venezuela. And President Nicolás Maduro, who had been sworn into a second six-year term in office. With dubious results. And huge criticism for the country's decline. However, it is not that easy to overthrow a leader that has the backing of the army.

But the problem doesn't stop here. The whole Venezuelan situation escalated from the national level to international when foreign governments started to intervene. By voicing support of one or another leader and even influencing the national problem further by denying access to funds that are held in England by the English government. Or providing rioting gear like China did. Furthermore, there are many different information coming out about the situation in the country. Propaganda, fake news, or alternative truths. Which makes it hard to know exactly what is happening in the country. There are simply to many contradicting stories. However, we could solve this issue by using third party providers that aim to be immutable sources of information like Historia project.

But for now, all we know is what we can read. Thus it is important to recognize opinion pieces vs actual news and not to forget to double or even tripple the facts you read in one source with as many as possible sources from different circles.

Similar History Discussions