What's the consensus on Atlantis?

What was Atlantis?

• Atlantis was Minoan Thera/Crete

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Atlantis was based on Minoan Thera/Crete by the Solon & Egyptian priests story was made up

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Atlantis was something else

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Atlantis was an allegory for Plato's ideal state.

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
Jan 2015
England
I ask because I was raised being taught that Atlantis was the Minoan island of Thera, and I have been aware since I was young that that is a very popular theory. At my current age, I still stand by that identification, having had the time to thoroughly research the subject. However, I've gotten the impression that it has become much less widely accepted in recent years (seemingly largely because of the apparent discovery that the Minoan civilisation was not destroyed or even pushed towards destruction by the Thera eruption). I'm also aware of the fact that the political set-up of Atlantis is essential the same as Plato's 'ideal state', so it is commonly thought to simply be an allegory for that.

So I was wondering, what is the general consensus about Atlantis? Please chose out of these four options:

1. Atlantis was simply a corrupted memory of the Minoan settlement on Thera and/or Crete, with the story transmitted by Solon as told by Plato.

2. Atlantis was heavily based on the Minoan settlement on Thera and/or Crete, but Plato made up the story that he had heard of it through Solon.

3. Atlantis was something else.

4. Atlantis was essentially just an allegory for Plato's ideal state.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
England
I don't know how to edit the poll, if it is possible, but there is a typo in option 2. It should say 'but the Solon & Egyptian priests story was made up.'

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The final option is the theory I've heard most often.
I think so ... if Plato wanted to use the Minoan civilization as an example to show what he was thinking, he would have made direct reference to that civilization [I cannot grasp why he hadn't the possibility to do this].

And I tend to exclude the other alternatives.

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
It wasn't Plato's allegory for an ideal state, but rather an allegory on the hubris of nations. Plato's ideal state would be Athens in 'The Republic'

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I ask because I was raised being taught that Atlantis was the Minoan island of Thera, and I have been aware since I was young that that is a very popular theory. At my current age, I still stand by that identification, having had the time to thoroughly research the subject. However, I've gotten the impression that it has become much less widely accepted in recent years (seemingly largely because of the apparent discovery that the Minoan civilisation was not destroyed or even pushed towards destruction by the Thera eruption). I'm also aware of the fact that the political set-up of Atlantis is essential the same as Plato's 'ideal state', so it is commonly thought to simply be an allegory for that.

So I was wondering, what is the general consensus about Atlantis? Please chose out of these four options:

1. Atlantis was simply a corrupted memory of the Minoan settlement on Thera and/or Crete, with the story transmitted by Solon as told by Plato.

2. Atlantis was heavily based on the Minoan settlement on Thera and/or Crete, but Plato made up the story that he had heard of it through Solon.

3. Atlantis was something else.

4. Atlantis was essentially just an allegory for Plato's ideal state.
Settle on # 4

Aug 2014
Huntington Beach CA
There is a theory that Atlantis was in the West Indies. Perhaps Cuba.
Easy to say as long as Cuba is relatively unexplored, archaeologically. Though one would expect to find in that case, more artifacts of civilisation on Hispaniola and Puerto Rico.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
There is a theory that Atlantis was in the West Indies. Perhaps Cuba.
Easy to say as long as Cuba is relatively unexplored, archaeologically. Though one would expect to find in that case, more artifacts of civilisation on Hispaniola and Puerto Rico.
There are various proposed sites (hardly theories) round the world... Basically every crackpot has proposed a site..... If it were in the Carribean one just wonders how Plato would ever get to hear about it