What's the consensus on Atlantis?

What was Atlantis?

• Atlantis was Minoan Thera/Crete

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Atlantis was based on Minoan Thera/Crete by the Solon & Egyptian priests story was made up

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Atlantis was something else

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Atlantis was an allegory for Plato's ideal state.

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
Jan 2015
England
Try this: Go back to post #1, the post that you wrote. See those four options? The four options you gave us to debate over? Well apparently only options one and two are acceptable for discussion because they are the only ones that fit your ideas.

Not exactly conducive to a far ranging inclusive debate now, is it?

If you didn't want to entertain the notion of the entire Atlantis story being one of Plato's allegories with no factual base then you really shouldn't have included it in the OP
I didn't create this thread as a place to debate Atlantis theories in general. There are plenty of those. I created it because I was curious as to how many people were aware of and believed in the Minoan theory specifically. That's why all other possible locations are summed up in 'Atlantis was something else'. I was simply not interested in discussing those theories; that wasn't the purpose of this thread.

If we take this as a given then we can use just about any nonsense to justify the theory.
Speculation on ways in which the story may have been distorted over the best part of a millennium is pointless.
As tomar said earlier: "To be fair this whole discussion is based on the assumption that Plato did not make things up and there was a city/empire generally fitting his decription allowing for some minor differences and errors... Just as in the Troy/Homer case. Otherwise there is no sense in the discussion"

Here you seem to be content with "Seems like so probably is" and "It's a match if we ignore X and Y and say that Z is probably A. Your standard of proof is significantly lower in this thread than in the others you participate in
That's certainly a matter of opinion.

1) Not a perfect match, not by a long shot. The fact that you describe it so speaks volumes about your optimism.

2) I have dismissed your ideas based on a lot more than just one word. You may choose to ignore all the other points I have made but to claim my opposition to your viewpoint is based on one word is either dishonest or implies that you are not taking in other peoples's replies to you.
You seem to have missed the context of that quote. I said:

Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire which had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent
Again, this is a perfect description of the Minoans.
To which you simply replied:

Empire? really? NO.
So, 1) Yes it is a perfect match save for that one word (which, as I said before, could easily be attributable to the 1000 year long transmission and embellishment of the tale).

2) What you said here does not apply since I was referring to that one specific point, not your objections in general.

You, however, were using the word empire to falsely inflate Minoan geopolitical and cultural influence. thus creating a closer match for identification as Atlantis.
Or because that is how I've seen them described in some works. There's no need to assume dishonesty, Davidius.

Have you read any of my previous posts? I am claiming no such thing.
I do not agree that the single or couple of buildings depicted represent towns but rather hamlets or individual buildings, if they are an accurate depiction of the island at all, which is far from proven.

Your choice to interpret them as towns and therefore viable for description as a metropolis is what I disagree with (several times now) and I feel you are hanging far too much on a picture of uncertain meaning.
The one on the right certainly looks to me like it's meant to be a flourishing town, but sure, there's no way to prove it either way without excavations. However (and this is an example of you ignoring my points, as you claimed I did yours), as I explained in the post that your last quote of mine is from, we know that there was also a settlement on Therasia. So that means there was at least some sort of settlement on the north west part of the island (Therasia), both sides of the harbour (whether they are towns or hamlets or whatever), and Akrotiri, a bit further east along the island from the harbour. And, as pointed out in that post, Akrotiri was on the scale on the Minoan palace sites, being far greater than any of the other settlements on the Cyclades.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
England
Any more thoughts from others? As it is, the poll shows that just under 30% of people who have voted believe that Atlantis was, or was based on, Minoan Thera/Crete. Only 47 people have voted so far, though, so it's not exactly a large sample size. I'm very interested in the consensus, so here I am bumping this poll.

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
Any more thoughts from others? As it is, the poll shows that just under 30% of people who have voted believe that Atlantis was, or was based on, Minoan Thera/Crete. Only 47 people have voted so far, though, so it's not exactly a large sample size. I'm very interested in the consensus, so here I am bumping this poll.
I didn't vote because the last option wasn't correct.
It wasn't an allegory for an ideal state, but rather an allegory on the excessive pride of nations.

Jan 2015
England
I didn't vote because the last option wasn't correct.
It wasn't an allegory for an ideal state, but rather an allegory on the excessive pride of nations.
My mistake; I should have just written 'an allegory' without specifying. Unfortunately I can't change it now.