What's the greatest disaster in European history?

Dec 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
In reply to Salve Caesar: Since the question was "Greatest disaster in European history?", I would suggest the important question of the evil effect of colonization deserves to it's own thread.

As to greatest disaster, I think the World War's I & II would qualify, with their mammoth loss of life eclipsing the Black Death in numbers. The plague of Justinian in the 540's is thought to have killed 13 to 26% of GLOBAL population, and is a contender for greatest disaster.

The earthquake and subsequent tsunami nearly wiping out the city of Lisbon in 1755, and the Great Fire of London in 1666 qualify as disasters, but of a secondary rank.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Connecticut
I'd say the Great Famine and the Black Death in the 14th c.
In a couple of centuries Europe recovered enough to create historical disasters rather than have natural disasters. By that i mean incessant warfare - 16th c. to early 19th c. then the volcanic-type explosion of WWI & II.

Nov 2016
Užice, Serbia
Tough question, considering the many horrible things that happen here.

I'd say my five picks are:

-French revolution
-Russian revolution
-Bubonic plague
-Thirty years' war
-Either of the world wars

...in no particular order.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Well, "threat to the established order" can be a very positive thing, depending on what the "established order" is.

Anyway, I think it's too soon to draw conclusions as there are only 3 decades that passed. But I think that we can hazard ourselves already in saying that it wasn't the greatest disastre in European history.
I’m baffled as to why there are Europeans who think that the reunification of Germany in 1990 (or thereabouts) was a bad thing. It’s very unlikely that Germany will seek to replay their previous disastrous attempts at world conquest. Not going to happen.

Apr 2019
Mumbai
I’m baffled as to why there are Europeans who think that the reunification of Germany in 1990 (or thereabouts) was a bad thing. It’s very unlikely that Germany will seek to replay their previous disastrous attempts at world conquest. Not going to happen.
Germany has an aging population, and therefore not enough young people to pursue wars. In the early to middle 20th century, the population in Europe was young, and therefore there was a large supply of young men who are needed to fight wars.

Aug 2013
Finland
As far as natural disasters go, I would propose the flooding of Doggerland (the land connecting the British Isles to the continent) - assuming of course that is that the theory about it being flooded by a megatsunami is correct.

Being separated from the continent changed Britain's future forever, leading to it's future status as a maritime power and eventually world empire. But back in the day, it was a massive disaster for whoever lived in and around the flooded area.

Then again since it happened over 8000 years ago, the evidence of exactly how sudden it was is undoubtedly sketchy.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
One of the biggest disaster in Portugal

Earthquake of Lisbon 1755 - The Wrath of God

---------------

Um dos maiores desastres de Portugal

Sismo de Lisboa 1755 - A Ira de Deus

Similar History Discussions