What's the greatest disaster in European history?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
So, MARTIN76, what IS your fascination with Austria-Hungary? I am also quite curious.
The loyalty to a Dinasty...not a country, a language... not.. but a family defended the Christian civilization... VIRIBUS UNITIS (With united forces)... many people from many different languages unided under Habsburg´s Throne...Spanish breed as the Count of Hoyos or the general Henríquez, British as Linke-Crawford or general Scotti...they were the Emperor´s men. If you prefer.. "austro-hungarians"..

Sep 2016
Georgia
Portugal was under rule of Philip II, Philip III and Philip IV. From second half of 16th century till the middle of 17th century. Habsburgs were Monarchs there, during that period.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
It has to do with the death of King D.Sebastian in the battle of Alcácer-Quibir
It was the ruin of Portugal.
It was only 60 years It was the ruin of Portugal.

The loyalty to a Dinasty...not a country, a language... not.. but a family defended the Christian civilization... VIRIBUS UNITIS (With united forces)... many people from many different languages unided under Habsburg´s Throne...Spanish breed as the Count of Hoyos or the general Henríquez, British as Linke-Crawford or general Scotti...they were the Emperor´s men. If you prefer.. "austro-hungarians"..
The Habsburgs did do that, I agree. At the same time, from the point of view of German Nationalism, they were a disaster, because their presence, and their tendancy to cater to the Slavs in their Empire, led to the German Lands never uniting into one Reich, until the III Reich did it, and that was obviously a disaster, NOT because Germans should not be united in one Reich (it is my position that they should), but because of the fact that they were unified under the Nazis, and not a government that could be less DESTRUCTIVE, and more PRODUCTIVE.

Similar History Discussions