What's with all the Black washing?

Feb 2017
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Apparently there are viewers who want to see black Hanibal
IIRC what happened was that there was some sort of outrage against the History channel that he wasn't black and they got sued by the ACLU or something so now they have to portray him as black because of a lawsuit.

Mar 2017
Colorado
The only ancient bust of Hannibal. Almost every later image is based on it.

... and his dad, Hamilcar Barca

... and his brother, Hasdrubal

... couldn't find a reliable picture of his other brother Mago.

There's a bewildering number of webpages which start with the equivalent of: "Why do ancient people keep representing the Barca's as white?"

Aug 2018
Australia
Are these specifically Carthaginian coins? I am guessing so. Actually they are carthaginian coins.. shekels right?

Where is this one from? I am guessing this depicts the numidian cavalry that went with napoleon and his famous elephants. Parts of his army. But it is also said to represent Hannibal by a lot of pro black sites. The same sites that claim the arabs repainted the egyptian remains to represent them and that they were also originally black.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_636/yp2ta6xpuyl4uqh29wft.jpg

https://plus.google.com/photos/1116...631&ssid=ee6f2035-066f-465c-9737-00c211381a8e

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Australia
Why are these people so desperate then to identify Hannibal as different to what his own people depicted him on coins as then? It's strange, so easily refuted. Yet so many people were very emotionally arguing
for it with no evidence what so ever. I cannot believe that with Carthaginian coins showing him that any dispute could be held about this amongst serious historians.

Nov 2009
Outer world
Why are these people so desperate then to identify Hannibal as different to what his own people depicted him on coins as then? It's strange, so easily refuted. Yet so many people were very emotionally arguing
for it with no evidence what so ever. I cannot believe that with Carthaginian coins showing him that any dispute could be held about this amongst serious historians.
Because they are a bunch of sleazy idiots who can't even fathom that actually "their" race has way more historical figures than what they think.
The fact is that this zealousness to blackwash lots of historical figures, ranging from Hannibal to Caesar to even Beethoven (the more fanatic ones), stems a very deep and stinging sense of inferiority caused both by decades of racism (stereotyping of Blacks etc) and also their own stupidity: Africa has a tons of interesting figures that could be actually more well known in the US and Europe if also Black Americans (as Blacks with the most available income overall) actually took an interest in it; instead, rather than reclaiming part of their ancestry they go bent on blackwashing everbody and this, coupled with the relative SJWism in the entertainment industry, make this phenomenon fairly insufferable to people, like Greeks being a little disturbed by having Achilles black.
To conclude, one can see the hollowness of this "blackwashing" by considering how little has been done to actually explore Africa as a source of entertainment material: sure, one could say that it is relatively little appealing to the mass market which is quite likely, then though they should stop to pretend to care about "inclusiveness" because portraying people of European descent is not "being inclusive", it's perverting history for the sake of giving a faux representation to Black actors, like a mock gift just to say "you see, here take this role solely because you are Black".
The only field where there can actually be inclusiveness by this way is theatre where skin colour matters less and where Black actors are often chosen for their skills.
That being said, there also cases where those two elements (inclusiveness and Black actors) can actually be working and that is in cases where this transition can be deemed real, such as with Idris Elba playing 007: I hope that he was cast because of his skills and because of SJW pressure (also I like him as an actor).

Mar 2017
Colorado
There's a distressing bent to modern culture, at least in the US. How you "feel" about something is more important than the facts. If you feel your ancestors were sidelined in history, it's perfectly acceptable to rewrite history to reflect what you're comfortable with. "I don't like the color of historical figures, so I'm going to change them."

We call this "revisionist history" when the Russians do it. We can only hope this is a fad, and if we hunker down long enough, the pendulum will swing in a more rational direction.

"Hannibal was black."
"But there are images of him made at the time."
"I don't care. Those ancient people had white bias."

Similar History Discussions