What's with all the Black washing?

Oct 2013
Europix
Every well intentioned law can be picked in its own contradictions. This is certainly one of them. Probably there will be more.

Anyway, Portugal still is a country with a low rate of sues. Probably because the courts takes too long to decide.
Hmmm ... then I should sue in US. I suppose I'd gain more too!

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I did. Don’t think I missed a post. And I also think that it wasn’t a fortunate example to prove your point.
He was just using that casting call as an example of how castings often work, because Ighayere asked if that's how casting really works. And it is. Casting calls which specify the physical description of a character they're looking to cast are quite normal and common. That said, producers/writers are sometimes open to making changes to characters after the casting call goes out.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
I'm sure some roles need someone of a certain look according to the producers' specifications and therefore have a predetermined ethnic background. I agree with that. However, in context, if what he said had really been true (that it was always the case that race was preassigned, and that this would explain any instances where any black people audition for a Sir Lancelot role), then it would have been the case that producers specifically asked for an East Asian Bess of Hardwick (and therefore only East Asians auditioned for the role), or a South Asian Pierre Veber (and therefore only South Asians auditioned for the role), or a South Asian soldier to play the role in 28 Days Later that Ray Panthaki mentioned in the article I cited.

We don't know that and actually the opposite seems more likely to have been the case: race probably was not specified beforehand in those cases. At least if we go by the example of Panthaki thinking he might have shown up for the "wrong casting" in the case of the 28 Days Later role (after seeing the other actors auditioning for the role), only to be picked for the role in the end. If race had been preassigned for the role (to a specific non-South Asian racial background) he wouldn't have been there to audition at all.

I don't think race is always preassigned.

Last edited:
Jun 2010
I agree, I think some casting calls probably don't specify a race or ethnicity. An example of one that does doesn't mean all do. But you'd think in the case of a historical figure, they would - and it would be for the historically correct race/ethnicity.

Thandie Newton has talked about how most UK historical dramas leave little to no room for people of color, suggesting the casting calls usually specify white actors (in the UK, at least): Historical dramas 'limit UK black actors'

Sep 2014
Texas
People decide by what works or not. And by the way the character of James Bond is owned by someone who will not let it change. I read about it a year ago, so unless those folks have died or sold the rights, I am not seeing that happen.

But fans decide what succeeds or doesn't. I was thrown out of a facebook group by a Hispanic moderator who said my defense of the white male actors was what was wrong with Star Wars. Now they have a couple of shows in production with Hispanic actors. A part of me that despises reverse racism...it's OK to bash white actors and actresses, wants it to fail, but at the same time,. I don't want it to fail. It's Star Wars and fans need to support Star Wars.

My thoughts are people of color need to develope their own stories and management needs to support it. Stan Lee developed Black Panther and Wakanda, but it was a Black director/writer and actors who brought it to life. I confess I was a little nervous when I went to see it, but ended up loving it. We have to support original characters. The Hispanic actors in Star Wars are portraying original characters. They aren't turning Luke into a Hispanic. So this cool looking young man will be an original character....which is what I support.

So no to Black Achilles...and there was a Black character in the Trojan War. He doesn't have a big role but a good writer could expand the part without destroying the reason for him being there. Heck I could develop this character showing him leaving his home in Ethiopia and discussing his magical horses. And when he dies I could show the women who loved him turning into birds. I mean the material is there. You just have to have an imagination and know the story.

And by the way, adding a Black character to Robin Hood worked with Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman. Kevin and Morgan are talented actors, but even they came under heat. Jamie Foxx though....what can I say. He doesn't belong there.

Jun 2010
But fans decide what succeeds or doesn't. I was thrown out of a facebook group by a Hispanic moderator who said my defense of the white male actors was what was wrong with Star Wars. Now they have a couple of shows in production with Hispanic actors. A part of me that despises reverse racism...it's OK to bash white actors and actresses, wants it to fail, but at the same time,. I don't want it to fail. It's Star Wars and fans need to support Star Wars.
Maybe I'm just missing something because I wasn't a part of this Facebook conversation but who is bashing white actors and how so? Wanting more diversity in films isn't an attack on white people.

Sep 2014
Texas
........... yet James Bond isn't black, simple as that, and if a Director gave it the old "It's all fictional anyway" then fine, if your work is that flippant then why should I pay to watch it?

Again I have no problems with a black 007 because as you say that's a code name, "Jeffery Winter the new 007 played by Idris Elba" ........ all for it, new take on the role, new back story, James Bond has retired and "Jeffery Winter" is the replacement, where's the problem?

That's representation / diversity, their own original character, editing over a well established 40 yr old white character just reinforces that people of colour need to "copy" white people by stepping into their shoes instead of walking in their own, I thought Black Panther would of dispelled that myth.

Starring in a white characters role is lazy, devoid of ideas, politically inflammatory, not original and as a mixed race guy I find it insulting that Directors in Hollywood don't think a person of colour is worth their own original character.

Classic example, if you want a black Iron man = James Rhodes.

They even did it in the comics and it was a great run, Stark retired and Rhodes took over ....... but replacing Tony Stark for a black Tony Stark is poor form.

Quite frankly I'm fed up of Lefty millennial's spoiling my entertainment and film / comic lore I grew up on with their political point scoring BS.

On the same token by the way I refuse to watch "The Wall", "Gods of Egypt" and "Fall of Troy" ........ all for the same reasons.

What's a white guy doing in Ancient China? why are Egyptian Gods all white? why is Achilles black instead of Greek?

They can stick all those movies up their you know what ........
This is only in response to the White guy in China.

1547580301526.png
Tocharians - Wikipedia

My friend Dr. Mair made them known to the West.

Romans in China: The Lost Legions of Carrhae 1547580456842.png

THE IRANIAN: History, Persians in China, Frank Wang

During the Tang Dynasty in particular, there were lots of White folks traveling on the Silk Road into China.

In fact a Chinese historian described the mummified remains of one White Tocharian woman as the most beauitul woman in world. So yeah there were white guys in China.

Feb 2018
Belgium
And some people who are native Berber/Moorish stock do have dark black skin. There are plenty of dark-skinned, thick-featured North Africans, both in our time and in the past. Berbers are not homogenous and they've been influenced by peoples all across Africa and beyond. It's improbable, but if Hannibal had Berber ancestry there's a distinct chance he would essentially "pass" as black African.
I hope this is a joke ....berbers are not black or very dark skinned at all just google it you will see. And north africans who are dark skinned are in general mixed with black (don't forget the massive slave trade). In the mediterranean area of north africa no one can pass for a black american stop exagerating + In ancient times black people were called "Aethiops" not libyans or mauri and hannibal was never portrayed like an aethiops.

Similar History Discussions