What's with all the Black washing?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
It was just a good movie. Get over it. Or more appropriately, get over yourself.

What was? Do you mean "Black Panther"? A classic example of popularity as an inverse measurement of quality. .

I understood the black critic's position on "Green Book" when it was pointed out, but I didn't see it at the time. As a white, non American, I don't always see the racial elements in Hollywood films. That doesn't mean they ain't there.

Black American jobs in the movies? Yep, playing racial stereotypes. shoeshine, maids, waiters, or 'Stepn Fetchit's 'coon' type buffoon.

After winning her academy award, (1939) Hattie McDaniels said something like "I'd rather earn $700 a week playing a maid, than $25 being one"

Stepn Fetchit

And there we go folks! Mr Identity Politics just tossed the race card because I got the last name Johnson and Jordan mixed up.

And you wonder why I slam you for be a race baiter. :lol:
I was taking the mick, you left yourself wide open I couldn't resist.

Basically laughing at you tripping over your clown feet every 5 mins, don't get startled though, I'm not accusing you of anything.

Your on edge enough as it is, I don't want to do anything that will tip you over.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
What was? Do you mean "Black Panther"? A classic example of popularity as an inverse measurement of quality. .
What is the point in discussing anything with you when you refuse to acknowledge that anyone can have a legitimate, valid opinion that differs from yours? Have you even seen the movie? Nope, probably not, so you really can’t determine whether it’s any good or not. You’ve prejudged it without even giving it a chance. Such prejudice is a pointless thing to argue with.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
What is the point in discussing anything with you when you refuse to acknowledge that anyone can have a legitimate, valid opinion that differs from yours? Have you even seen the movie? Nope, probably not, so you really can’t determine whether it’s any good or not. You’ve prejudged it without even giving it a chance. Such prejudice is a pointless thing to argue with.
Sorry you feel that way.

I reserve the right t to disagree when I think a position is incorrect or presents arguments not supported by by reason.or proof. You don't like that, feel free not to read my posts.

Yes, I have seen Black Panther, and thought it was very second rate. Have also seen " Green Book",which I thought was fine, one of the better films i've seen recently.

Hacksaw Ridge ; was a good film, strong cast.

The Star Wars movies; The Firsts Three, fantastic, second three, not so much. Since Disney took over; watchable and forgettable

My rule of thumb for movies; if I'm still thinking about it a few days later, it is usually because it got me thinking.

Yep, opinionated old fart. I assure you I am not this way to intentionally annoy you or anyone else.

I have no problem being corrected or disagreed with, as long as you can support your argument. Sometimes I will argue the point, usually only once.at that time I will concede or agree. to differ.

You are 100% entitled , not to like my posts. It is not my intention to annoy or offend anyone, although I'm sure I do..

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
I just watched (on TV) the film "Gods of Egypt"--it was real rubbish, but then so is a lot of stuff. It passed me by at the time, but it seems that there was a big row at the time that the cast featured mainly Anglo-Saxon actors (if you can count a Danish-Pole and a Scot as Anglo-Saxon). Now, all but a couple of characters were Egyptian gods who took human form from time so their ethnicity should have been moot, but even the single black (bantu) African-American actor was decried as being a "magic-negro" stereotype. The incredibly exotic-looking Cambodian-French actress who played the Goddess of Love, Hathor, looked pretty fine to me though.
As the film was fantasy and wasn't really about modern or even historical Egypt one wonders what the fuss was actually about and the answer is simple--a group of people want more work for black Afro-American actors and actresses, whether or not they are right for the role--or can even act.

May 2019
Belgium
all of Troy is a BBC production; it's going to include non-white actors by default. Same thing with Dr. Who in the past and like Dr. Who, Fall of Troy isn't historical or meant to be accurate. Honestly the movie "Troy" would be your best bet for any kind of historical accuracy.
Troy is based on greek mythology and on historical event located in Greece. Greeks are white, not black

Black, or at least non-white soldiers and settlers did exist in Britannia. There were Berbers stationed on Hadrian's Wall and the graves of Syrians and North Africans in England.
There are no reference of black soldier in Britain. Maybe they existed, but nobody mentioned them. Berber legionaries stationed in Britain, but berbers are white

The only odd-one out is Hannibal and I don't really know enough about this "fake documentary" to comment, other than Hannibal's ethnicity has always been a debated topic.

There are no debate among scholars about the skin of Hannibal. It's only black afrocentrist who come to claim his black root. All statues, Mosaics, writing about Hannibal describe him as what we can call a caucasian man.

But to answer to Op. I would say that black don't have an interesting history/culture, this is the reason why leftist like backwashing important white figures.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
Troy is based on greek mythology and on historical event located in Greece. Greeks are white, not black

There are no reference of black soldier in Britain. Maybe they existed, but nobody mentioned them. Berber legionaries stationed in Britain, but berbers are white

There are no debate among scholars about the skin of Hannibal. It's only black afrocentrist who come to claim his black root. All statues, Mosaics, writing about Hannibal describe him as what we can call a caucasian man.

But to answer to Op. I would say that black don't have an interesting history/culture, this is the reason why leftist like backwashing important white figures.
And a leftist like me will one day see racist fascist scum like you hung and that will be the end of your glorious history.

Similar History Discussions