What's with all the Black washing?

Status
Closed
Aug 2018
london
Who wrote many of the historical accounts??

If individuals did not question a flat earth we would be ignorant to fact it is round.
Lol no the ancient Greeks weren’t black. The question is why they are being shoehorned into white roles. What’s notable is it isn’t other races that are shoehorned into these roles. There are far more Asians in the UK than blacks but it probably never even occurred to the BBC to do a version of Troy with an Asian cast.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
They have cast Asian actors for the roles of historically white characters in the UK. There was a discussion in this thread a few pages back where that was mentioned.

May 2019
Near East
This bothers me the most in historical fiction movies.

It's patronizing for blacks and Asians and other minorities when they're included in movies and TV shows solely for their race and ethnicity just so that the film and its production team can get brownie points from the media. Like when they made Margaret d'Anjou black in 'The Hollow Crown' and put black and Asian courtiers in the court of Elizabeth I in the recent 'Mary Queen of Scots' film.

Africa, Asia, and the middle east are all fascinating places with fascinating history. Why not make movies and TV shows set there if they really cared for representing them in mass media and pop culture (which I doubt they do)?

Aug 2018
london
They have cast Asian actors for the roles of historically white characters in the UK. There was a discussion in this thread a few pages back where that was mentioned.
It's far more rare. Blacks and whites are seen as being opposites. Lefties see whites as oppressors and blacks as oppressed, whilst in the context of historical racism blacks were placed at the bottom of the racial hierarchy. So it's the most logical choice to choose black actors when your intention is to 'diversify' and 'deconstruct' white culture and history for political reasons.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wonder if a black person will ever play the role of a white slaveowner in the South. Imagine the outrage if a movie showed blacks owning white slaves, even though such a scenario is historically conceivable.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions