Whats with all the racism geared twords African history?

Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Every discussion about African history inevitably ends up with accusations of "Eurocentrism", "Afrocentrism" and "racism" going one way or the other, so to me it isn't something I'm interested in taking part in. I'd prefer to stick to historical topics where my arguments and criticisms won't get instantly dismissed with an accusation of "racism", as happens constantly whenever African history is discussed critically. Unfortunately this area of study is dominated by political and ideological agendas on both sides, and for me that doesn't make for an enjoyable environment for discussion.
This isn't even true when using just this forum as a case study, since there are many threads on here where nothing like what you've claimed is the norm has taken place. I don't see how this is even true in general outside of this forum, even if there really are a greater percentage of people with "extreme" views one way or another about African history.

The real issue seems to be that many people don't know much at all about even a small part of the subject. And certain people just make stuff up or namedrop random works or the names of certain authors and pretend to know things when they know little to nothing, which is even worse.

I think its just mostly political sparring. I see just as many people poking fun at Norse architecture, or the lack thereof, as how people make fun of Sub Saharan architecture. It's definately racially modivated. Some people feel a personal attachment to their peoples history and culture, and feel the need to put others down to make theirs seem supiror in comparrison. I wouldn't pay to much mind to these people. The only place they can really express this opinion is on the internet.

africans are looked down not because of their past but present imho, no matter how big history you had in the past, you wont escape racism and looked down upon, for instance middle eastern are probably some of the most hated people in the world, simply because of their present, they have some of the most illustrious past in the entire history, same goes to the south asians/indians, who are called all sorts of names, street shitters, public deficators etc etc, probably one of the earliest toilet makers and plumbers, same goes probably to the chinese, japanese, nordics, germans despite not having a great past are the most respected because of their present.

i dont think in long run people really think about history/past as much as the present as their biggest impressions.

regards

Jul 2015
Netherlands
All these noises are made by American Blacks. They cant even trace their lineage to African tribes, do not speak any African language and have zero cultural connection with Africa. Its beyond me why they are so hyper nationalistic about Africa when they cant even pin point their ancestral lands in the large continent of Africa.
Nah, it is a general American thing. They do the same with other ancestries. Some presidential candidates are even proud of their 1/1024 Indian ancestry.

Aug 2014
pakistan
africans are looked down not because of their past but present imho, no matter how big history you had in the past, you wont escape racism and looked down upon, for instance middle eastern are probably some of the most hated people in the world, simply because of their present, they have some of the most illustrious past in the entire history, same goes to the south asians/indians, who are called all sorts of names, street shitters, public deficators etc etc, probably one of the earliest toilet makers and plumbers, same goes probably to the chinese, japanese, nordics, germans despite not having a great past are the most respected because of their present.

i dont think in long run people really think about history/past as much as the present as their biggest impressions.

regards
In my opinion Non-Muslim blacks and Whites are on good terms in U.S and Europe. In fact non-Muslim Blacks (along with Jews) are pampered by Whites these days and their relations are improving day by day. Its the Muslims (of any race and colour) who are despised by Whites/westerns, after 9/11. Muslim is terrorist for them, he is homophobic, he is misogynistic, he is pedophile (they have this intense hysteria about pedophilia in West), he is "sand nigger", he is goat-shagger etc for them. Black Christians on the other hand go to Church and have same names as White-Europeans. Their women do not wear hijab (which greatly irks westerns). One often read some European commenting that they like Black (by which they mean non-Muslim Blacks) immigrants but they hate Muslims (including Black Muslims). Their beef is with Muslims/Islam, not Middle eastern because they dont hate Arabic speaking Egyptian Copts, Lebanese-Syrian Christians, and Jews of Middle east.

All these noises are made by American Blacks. They cant even trace their lineage to African tribes, do not speak any African language and have zero cultural connection with Africa. Its beyond me why they are so hyper nationalistic about Africa when they cant even pin point their ancestral lands in the large continent of Africa.
there is infact a big case of eurocentrism, for instance i just read some statement here

The Hindu Kush range has also been the passageway during the invasions of the Indian subcontinent and continues to be important during modern-era warfare in Afghanistan.

Hindu Kush - Wikipedia
this statement is pure exaggeration and historic manipulation which builds a lot of perception regarding people who are being targeted, the hindus, who were declared as feminine and weak by the colonial narrative. But i think such eurocentrism should be argued with intelligent points, what some afrocentrics do is opposite of that. realities must be accepted and where possible an intelligent arguments can be made to counter that, its no secret that western EU propaganda is taught as history lessons.

regards

Similar History Discussions