What's your favorite Civil War movie?

Oct 2006
Florida
Has anyone else seen the film "Wicked Spring"? In terms of authenticity with uniforms/equipment It's spot on, here is a clip from online. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ooBiCLlqA"]Wicked Spring[/ame]

The Red badge of Courage would be my Nr 1 choice had the studios NOT butchered Huston's great film. Ive got a few great stills from sais film. Tow showing Audie Murphy-one of those two also showing Bill Mauldin, and one showing John Dierkes. Murphy "saluting" a dead Confederate soldier by lowering his battle flag over the body.

Anyway, they are: The Outlaw Josey Wales, Drums of the Deep South, Shenandoah, The Horse Soldiers, Ironclads, Gettysburg, Silver Mountain, and Love Me Tender. Others but cant think of their names off-hand.

Jan 2018
San Antonio
The Horse Soldiers. Even a so-so John Ford picture towers over most.

I’m also keen on Ang Lee’s Ride With the Devil. I especially like the ending where Lee gives Jeffrey Wright an emotional send off that’s a homage to the end of My Darling Clementine.

Gettysburg is not bad but the self conscious posing of the often overweight and overaged reenactors used is very distracting. And the movie has a slipshod low rent feel to it. Unlike many I thought Sheen was very good as Lee. But the guy who played Hancock had none of Hancock’s fire and charisma, a waste of a role. Sam Elliot chewed the scenery but rode very well; his riding put me in mind of Ben Johnson.

Gods and Generals is an embarrassment, with too many flaws for me to go into right now, I haven’t the ambition this morning.

As Bogey said above, Huston’s The Red Badge of Courage is very good, too bad MGM mismanaged the picture, a story told by Lilian Ross in her book, “Picture”

Last edited:
The Horse Soldiers. Even a so-so John Ford picture towers over most.

I’m also keen on Ang Lee’s Ride With the Devil. I especially like the ending where Lee gives Jeffrey Wright an emotional send off that’s a homage to the end of My Darling Clementine.

Gettysburg is not bad but the self conscious posing of the often overweight and overaged reenactors used is very distracting. And the movie has a slipshod low rent feel to it. Unlike many I thought Sheen was very good as Lee. But the guy who played Hancock had none of Hancock’s fire and charisma, a waste of a role. Sam Elliot chewed the scenery but rode very well; his riding put me in mind of Ben Johnson.

Gods and Generals is an embarrassment, with too many flaws for me to go into right now, I haven’t the ambition this morning.

As Bogey said above, Huston’s The Red Badge of Courage is very good, too bad MGM mismanaged the picture, a story told by Lilian Ross in her book, “Picture”
Gracias. If I recall? they shortened it by about 45 minutes.

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
Cold Mountain wasn't so much about the war then one mans quest to get away from it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman made that movie and should have won best supporting actor.
It does have a dramatization of the Battle of the Crater during the Siege of Petersburg though.

I like Cold Mountain and Ride With the Devil. The latter is about Missouri Bushwhackers and the raid on Lawrence Kansas.

Mar 2012
City of Angels
Not necessarily one of my favorites but give Raintree County (1957) a watch sometime. Liz Taylor and Montgomery Clift star, real life lovers, most notably known as Clift’s last major work as he was horribly injured in a car wreck during shooting. It’s set in the pro Union side of Indiana—a highly divided state during the war, and after

Similar History Discussions