You must be more precise on your definition of "civil war."

Jan 2018
San Antonio
The Sun Also Rises (1957)

Oh, wait -- Spanish Civil War.

Witchfinder General (1968)

Oh, wait - English Civil War.

You must be more precise on your definition of "civil war."
This confusion is one of the reasons Americans should favor the name the War of the Rebellion over the Civil War. Besides, War of the Rebellion is what the United States War Department called the war.

Thank God we now have a Defense Department rather than the War Department. Though we haven’t renamed things to the Defense of 1812, The First and Second Seminole Defenses, The Mexican Defense, Spanish-American Defense and so on.

Last edited:
Aug 2012
You know what irritates me? To Kill a King gets so much wrong, so very much. But Tim Roth as Cromwell is still one of my favourite casting choices in any historical movie.

Richard Harris was great in the role, but always sounded too Shakespearean and eloquent. Roth's depiction of the man was far rougher and more in line with how I view him - despite the movies numerous, lazy, glaring inaccuracies.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Lincoln has yet to drop in my estimation. It's a wonderfully put-together movie with an amazing cast. Glory and Ride with the Devil are longrunning favorites as well.

It's easy to make fun of Gettysburg, for some justifiable reasons, but this scene gets me every time.

Similar History Discussions