What's your favorite Civil War movie?

Oct 2017
NorCal
Another vote for Ride with the Devil. Also, check out The Colt, a TV movie written by Nobel Prize winner Mikhail Sholokhov. A brilliant small slice of the conflict.

Skirmisher

May 2018
Houston, TX
Lincoln has yet to drop in my estimation. It's a wonderfully put-together movie with an amazing cast.
I liked Lincoln also. I think it would have been a better movie had it ended with Lincoln walking out of the White House to the carriage for the theater. By including the assassination and death scenes it felt like an attempt to add on something dramatic in order to tug at our heartstrings. If it had ended with the walk from the White House, we all knew where he was going and what happened. I think it would have had a deeper impact. But who am I to second guess Spielberg???:)

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
I liked Lincoln also. I think it would have been a better movie had it ended with Lincoln walking out of the White House to the carriage for the theater. By including the assassination and death scenes it felt like an attempt to add on something dramatic in order to tug at our heartstrings. If it had ended with the walk from the White House, we all knew where he was going and what happened. I think it would have had a deeper impact. But who am I to second guess Spielberg???:)
I had the same thought; it seemed like the endings were guest-directed by Peter Jackson. :lol:

Jul 2018
Colorado
I've got to cast my vote for Gettysburg. Watching that movie as a kid was the first time history truly came alive for me.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I'd go with Cromwell too...Richard Harris' best movie.

Another good civil war movie is Ken Roach's "Land and Freedom".

Nov 2018
Wales
Buster Keaton in The General.

For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Pans Labyrinth is an excellent film, although not really a film about the Spanish Civil War.