What's your most favorite ancient greek myth?

Feb 2015
India
People were obsessed with death:
You might have heard that ancients were obsessed with death. But, this is not true. They were obsessed with mummifying. This was their way to celebrate life after death. The gold ornaments and things which they buried helped them t

Oct 2014
California
If by myth you mean a true story, then Phaethon sticks out in my mind.

Also the so-called myths about the Red Eye of Jupiter, the Rings of Saturn, and the steeds of Mars, namely Deimos and Phobos.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
People were obsessed with death:
You might have heard that ancients were obsessed with death. But, this is not true. They were obsessed with mummifying. This was their way to celebrate life after death. The gold ornaments and things which they buried helped them t
It was the Egyptians who mummified their dead, not the Greeks.

Do you mean Ancient Greek mythology (as in Zeus & co), or myths (historical inaccuracies) about the Ancient Greeks, or - judging by your post - myths that the Ancient Greeks held about other peoples (since I think it was Herodotus who felt that the Egyptians were obsessed with death)?

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
I haven't really got a favourite, but the two that stick with me the most are the tales of Eurydice and Orpheus in the underworld and of Cupid and Psyche. Well represented in art too.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Probably the one about king Midas or perhaps the one about Narcis.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Pretty much any stories to do with the Underworld and the tales of Herakles.

My favourite one though is Euripides' version of the Herakles story. Especially the beginning when he kills his children.

Last edited: