When did Canada "take" British Columbia?

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
Obviously the whole settler expansion into North America at the expensive of Native Americans/First Nations is very complicated. I'm trying to show a map of the growth of Canada, and am using a distinguishing color to show areas Canada claimed but didn't have legal control over due to First Nations in the area. Many of these treaties exist for most of Canada but there are very few for British Columbia. Famously, these lack of treaties are being resolved to this day.

Would there be a proper point in time where I could simply indicate Canada "took" British Columbia despite the lack of treaties? Perhaps a specific amendment to the Indian Act that made the point of treaties moot? I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Obviously the whole settler expansion into North America at the expensive of Native Americans/First Nations is very complicated. I'm trying to show a map of the growth of Canada, and am using a distinguishing color to show areas Canada claimed but didn't have legal control over due to First Nations in the area. Many of these treaties exist for most of Canada but there are very few for British Columbia. Famously, these lack of treaties are being resolved to this day.

Would there be a proper point in time where I could simply indicate Canada "took" British Columbia despite the lack of treaties? Perhaps a specific amendment to the Indian Act that made the point of treaties moot? I'd really appreciate some suggestions.
British Columbia asked

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
British Columbia became the sixth province of the Canadian Confederation in 1871 and the Confederation assumed its debt. First Nations and colonization is discussed here. The Fraser River gold rush of 1853 pretty much precluded native rights before this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...

Best option IMO is the 1820s, probably 1827 with the establishment of. Fort Langley as the final link in the chain of forts across the continent, (Fort Vancouver in US territory was started a couple years earlier). Fort Langley - Wikipedia

Following Simon Fraser's establishment of Fort St. James in 1806, Fort George (Prince George) in 1808 and Fort Thompson (Kamloops) in 1812, the British (through HBC/NWC) have a string of forts from Athabasca down the Fraser river to Ft. Langley where the river empties into the Gulf of Georgia (Pacific Ocean), and have de facto control of British Columbia.

Alternative date perhaps in 1821 with the establishment of the Columbia Department in the merged NBC, as the British Crown claimed all of the land in the district.

785px-Oregoncountry2.png

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Like that last map shows, the current US-Canada border at 49 degrees north latitude was agreed in 1846. Lewis and Clark established the American Claim to Oregon in 1805. During the War of 1812 the British drove the American Fur Company completely out of the Oregon Country. Americans began settling Oregon in large numbers in the late 1830s.