When did the concept of countries first come about?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
When did the concept of countries first come about? I had a debate with @Menshevik yesterday about this topic and we were both curious as to when exactly the concept of countries developed. For instance, I know that Philip II of France (ruled 1180 to 1223) was the first French ruler to be styled King of France--which got me wondering as to when exactly territories under the rule of a particular monarch stopped being viewed merely as fiefdoms, appendages, and tributaries and instead began being viewed as independent countries.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I suppose that another way to view this question would be to ask when educated people in various territories began having the view that they live in a particular country as opposed to merely in a particular village, city, town, province, or territory.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
When did the concept of countries first come about? I had a debate with @Menshevik yesterday about this topic and we were both curious as to when exactly the concept of countries developed. For instance, I know that Philip II of France (ruled 1180 to 1223) was the first French ruler to be styled King of France--which got me wondering as to when exactly territories under the rule of a particular monarch stopped being viewed merely as fiefdoms, appendages, and tributaries and instead began being viewed as independent countries.
And to clarify, would you say we're talking about a "country" as it's defined in the civic nationalistic sense, rather than some other nationalism, i.e ethnic or cultural nationalism?

Last edited:

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
For some recent work on a pre-modern ethnic consciousness combined with a territorial state, you might want to look at Anthony Kaldellis' Romanland: Ethnicity and Empire in Byzantium.

Could you give us some bullet points? I don't know when I would be able to get around to getting access to this book.

Jul 2017
Srpska
Do you have any specific examples?
Let's define it first:

Definition of COUNTRY

Let's take two and three:

2 a. the land of a person's birth, residence, or citizenship, their country
b. a political state or nation or its territory

3. the people of a state or district; populace

The definition is basically: land, that is settled for more than a generation, and its populace.

Similar History Discussions