When did the concept of countries first come about?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
When did the concept of countries first come about? I had a debate with @Menshevik yesterday about this topic and we were both curious as to when exactly the concept of countries developed. For instance, I know that Philip II of France (ruled 1180 to 1223) was the first French ruler to be styled King of France--which got me wondering as to when exactly territories under the rule of a particular monarch stopped being viewed merely as fiefdoms, appendages, and tributaries and instead began being viewed as independent countries.

Reactions: Menshevik

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I suppose that another way to view this question would be to ask when educated people in various territories began having the view that they live in a particular country as opposed to merely in a particular village, city, town, province, or territory.

Jul 2017
Srpska
When first habitats were built, for example cities, or better yet settlements, which means long time ago, long before Trojan wars.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
When first habitats were built, for example cities, or better yet settlements, which means long time ago, long before Trojan wars.
I don't know about that.

When was the first time someone would have identified themselves as being French? English? Greek? Etc.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
When did the concept of countries first come about? I had a debate with @Menshevik yesterday about this topic and we were both curious as to when exactly the concept of countries developed. For instance, I know that Philip II of France (ruled 1180 to 1223) was the first French ruler to be styled King of France--which got me wondering as to when exactly territories under the rule of a particular monarch stopped being viewed merely as fiefdoms, appendages, and tributaries and instead began being viewed as independent countries.
And to clarify, would you say we're talking about a "country" as it's defined in the civic nationalistic sense, rather than some other nationalism, i.e ethnic or cultural nationalism?

Last edited:

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
For some recent work on a pre-modern ethnic consciousness combined with a territorial state, you might want to look at Anthony Kaldellis' Romanland: Ethnicity and Empire in Byzantium.

Could you give us some bullet points? I don't know when I would be able to get around to getting access to this book.

Reactions: Futurist
Jul 2017
Srpska
Do you have any specific examples?
Let's define it first:

Definition of COUNTRY

Let's take two and three:

2 a. the land of a person's birth, residence, or citizenship, their country
b. a political state or nation or its territory

3. the people of a state or district; populace

The definition is basically: land, that is settled for more than a generation, and its populace.