When did white Southerners become loyal to the US after the ACW?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Thank you very mcuh Mr Futurist.. I didn´t know abut Confederates (Confederados) in Brazil.. I knew in Cuba, Mexico, Spain....but not in Brazil. So.. the case I know what not alone....more than one confederate never accepted the defeat and left the Old South for ever.

According with this newspaper.. It was thought the Confederate goverment stablished in Havana (Cuba.. in those days a Spanish province as Canary islands). It was in a meeting in Shevrenport.. but finally it didn´t....

I do´t know if the Confederate government thought to continue the war from Cuba... but I know some confederate people as the confederate general Breckendridge etc stablished in Cuba after the war.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Do you think it was only to hold the Old institution or was it because they didn´t accept Yankee victory?
Probably a little of both. Also, many Confederates feared Union retaliation after the war. In April, 1865 the South did not know how lenient the North would be after the war. But it's interesting they chose to flee to Cuba and Brazil. Cuba was conveniently close but Brazil was out of the way. Those Confederates could have settled anywhere. It's probably not a coincidence that some chose to live in Brazil, a country that still had legal slavery.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
"...It was not until after World War II in 1945 that Vicksburg joined the rest of the nation in the celebration of Independence Day.
The patriotic fervor after the war and a visit by General Dwight D. Eisenhower set the stage for a return to celebrating the birth of our nation. "

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
"...It was not until after World War II in 1945 that Vicksburg joined the rest of the nation in the celebration of Independence Day.
The patriotic fervor after the war and a visit by General Dwight D. Eisenhower set the stage for a return to celebrating the birth of our nation. "

Because Vicksburg fell on July 4, 1863 at the same time the south suffered a less severe defeat at Gettysburg. Vicksburg was anti secession because it was on the river and dependent on trade with the north.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Were they able to keep their slaves abroad? I would think the slaves might resist being transported with slves being freed.
I found a few references to people bringing slaves from the US. More bought slaves in Brazil. But most Confederate immigrants seem to have been more attracted by a desire to maintain strict racial segregation which slavery provided less than the desire to own slaves themselves. Brazil was therefore frustrating to these former Confederates since Brazil was much more open-minded about inter-racial marriage and other forms of intermingling. Economic opportunity was another incentive to migrate since land was cheap, and the host governments were eager to get their countries into the global cotton economy. The migrating Confederates had technical knowledge of cotton farming that the host countries did not have.

https://www.history.com/news/confederacy-in-brazil-civil-war
The City of Americana in Brazil was founded by many Southerners from the United States – Alabama Pioneers
Confederados - Wikipedia
Confederate settlements in British Honduras - Wikipedia