When Germans begun to call themselves a Deutsches?

Jul 2017
Germany
It is opposite: Sources before printing are less truthworthy.
I'm sorry, that is of course what I meant to write (and that I don't agree with). Memo to myself: don't type before your first cup of coffee.

Summing up: you say, the older a source seems to be, the more likely it is fake. I disagree. And I'm afraid we'll just have to leave it there.

As for the Tabula Peutingeriana, you're of course free to question its authenticity. But if your only piece of evidence for that is the fact it was "found" in the 18th century, well, then I will remain unconvinced. But maybe you should discuss this with the experts over in the "Medieval history" section. I may be biased after all the Napoleonic memoirs I've read only to figure out that many of them are of rather questionable authenticity.

And what?
Epigraphia is not enough for writing history.
No. But it can clear up and support other sources.

Jul 2017
Israel/Russia
>>Summing up: you say, the older a source seems to be, the more likely it is fake
Yes it is. And there is another point: the older is document, the more harder to determine if it is genuine or not.

>>But if your only piece of evidence for that is the fact it was "found" in the 18th century, well, then I will remain unconvinced.
Is is a simple application of Morozov's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Alexandrovich_Morozov) criteria:
If document is suddenly found, after centuries of obscurity, then it is written at time of
when it was found.
Very simple and well-justified criteria: It is almost impossible to preserve document for such long time.
And ask yourself question: How we check if document is genuine?

And what do you think about this artifact:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism ?

>> I may be biased after all the Napoleonic memoirs I've read only to figure out that many of them are of rather questionable authenticity.
It is obvious. During his career Napoleon had no time to write memoirs and later he was a British POW.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I am not forgetting the HRE, although I was, admittedly, thinking more about the 19th Century than the 18th, I was simply unaware that the HRE's hold on Northern Italy lasted so long. I still believe, though, that the average Bavarian in the 18th century would have thought of himself as a Bavarian and a German first, before a citizen of the HRE. I was also under the impression that the Holy Roman Empire was seriously waning in significance by this period, especially since the German states became so religiously divided during the Reformation.
The last Duke of Mantua and Montferrat also seemed unaware that his states were part of the HRE and so they were confiscated in 1708 for his treasonous alliance with France.

Jul 2017
Israel/Russia
Do you really deny the possibility of an army with elephants crossing the passes of the Alps?
You can deny possible things.
Elephants crossing Alps is impossible.

Moreover, if you look at archeology and paleontology of Norths Africa, you will see, that there are no bones of elephants, who lived after Ice Age were found.
Strange, is not it?