When Paris became capital?

May 2017
France
The first capital of the french s territory was Lyon (Lugdunum).The priest of Lyon is called until today "Primat des Gaules".The romans occupied it easily.
The story of Lutecia has been invented.At the "gallo-romain" period, the island of the city was a village like at the "chasseens period", full of mosquitoes,like Bercy,with little boats,darts etc..discovered during the construction of the music palace.The biggest town of the Isle of France,at the moment of the roman conquest was Nanterre (streets,market etc.…).The merovingians and the carolingians have never considered Paris as their unic political center.
The Capet transform the city of the "parisis"(gaellic population mixed with romans and franks) progressively.But during the war of 100 years,the capital of the Valois was Bourges,in the center.

Jan 2014
Rus
The first capital of the french s territory was Lyon (Lugdunum).The priest of Lyon is called until today "Primat des Gaules".The romans occupied it easily.
The story of Lutecia has been invented.At the "gallo-romain" period, the island of the city was a village like at the "chasseens period", full of mosquitoes,like Bercy,with little boats,darts etc..discovered during the construction of the music palace.The biggest town of the Isle of France,at the moment of the roman conquest was Nanterre (streets,market etc.…).The merovingians and the carolingians have never considered Paris as their unic political center.
The Capet transform the city of the "parisis"(gaellic population mixed with romans and franks) progressively.But during the war of 100 years,the capital of the Valois was Bourges,in the center.
Thanks. Got some new.

May 2017
France
If the island of the city would have been important,the political autorities would have built fortifications.....The problem is that the archeological investigations under the prefecture of police have discovered Nothing.Do you know in the story of the world a capital which was an open space ? On another way the fortifications of Philippe August and Charles V are incontestable (the two wars of 100 years).I think that the island of the city was like the four other islands disappeared:from east to west:Javiaux,Cows,Notre Dame,Island of the city,the Jews,a little archipel of the yellow fever (paludism) dangerous for everybody.Perhaps the island would have been utilised as cimetary,just near the primitive church,like the territory of the Louvre near the church Saint Eustache.

May 2017
France
The story of the Sainte Genevieve mountain (61 meters of altitude,hum…..)is completely different.The archeological investigations have done very good results:everything is roman,or sometimes with a greek influence.If it was a capital,the romans are the precursors (oppidum,theather,circus,bath).Everything is situated on the left river.Naturally,the legend is present:Sainte Genevieve would have defeated the famous Huns...perhaps was she the sister of Astérix.

Jul 2017
France
Hugh Capet is generally considered the first king of France. He was born in Paris and had the title Count of Paris before being crowned King of France. Because much of France later came under English rule its hard to trace the status of Paris. In Joan of Arc's time French kings were crowed in Reims. At least from the time of Francis I believe the capital remained in Paris.

Hugh Capet - Wikipedia
I agree, and Hugh Capet was the first king to speak French

Jan 2011
FRANCE
If the island of the city would have been important,the political autorities would have built fortifications.....The problem is that the archeological investigations under the prefecture of police have discovered Nothing.
The archaeological investigations under the préfecture de police have been done in depth on only 12 sqm, and 7 gaul postholes have been discovered. And if Nanterre (called Nemetodurum and not Lutetia) was a capital there would have been a fortification, as you say. But no fortification has been discovered in Nanterre. So Nanterre is only an assumption.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Wait ... the Franks were Germanic, the Gauls were Celtic [like South Western Germans in that age, but this is a different matter]. If you consider "proto-France" a "post-Carolingian Gallic state" the connection with Franks becomes weak: they weren't Gallic, but Germanic. So [as sometime actually I hear] you are saying that the Franks weren't able to make old Gaul a Germanic state. Failing in this, I don't see why we should note a continuity with their Western Kingdom.
Was the name 'Paris' ,with its Trojan allusion, chosen deliberately? Great name for a city. My city was founded in 1836, as a free colony. It was named for Queen Adelaide, Adelaide Of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort of William 1V of England. I was unaware of her origins until i looked her up about 5 minutes ago We. Aussies can be a bit apologetic about our origins (I think it's the whole convict thing)

OT: I seem to remember the 1000th year celebration of the city of Paris, some decades ago. I suspect that may be the official age, as human occupation of the area goes back to ca 205 bce.

As a loyal British colonial (I DID say 'decades') I remember being unimpressed, as the city of London at that time was 2000 years old.

The notion of the 'capital city' of a nation is relatively modern, as is the concept of a nation vs a a city state.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
"King of Franks" and "King of France" is a very different things (Which is unnecessary to know for modern French schoolkids :)).
Why would it be the same? It's like King of the Russians and King of Russia. Not really the same. One is an ethnicity, the other a territory. Russians can exist outside of Russia while Russia can have more than just Russians. Although it can be used interchangeably. What you meant is King of the Franks and King of the French. Which is actually technically the same thing. French is basically a corrupted form of Frank. If we translate how the French called themselves in their language it basically means Frankish. French is corruption of the word Frencisc (Frankish).

Last edited: