When Paris became capital?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Since Clovis I was buried in Paris, and he is considered the founder of France, I would say that is when Paris became its capital, even if later rulers may have moved it from time to time, like Charlemange did to Aachen.

May 2017
France
In another way,people speak allways about the gaellic nation of the "parisis"...How can we magine seriously that they were only able to live in the little ridiculous isle of the city ? Nanterre is the only one city of the Seine which had avenues.The avenues of the roman Lutecia have been built by the Romans who had really good architectors.If someone knows the name of a gaellic architector...I am interested.

Jan 2014
Rus
Since Clovis I was buried in Paris, and he is considered the founder of France, I would say that is when Paris became its capital, even if later rulers may have moved it from time to time, like Charlemange did to Aachen.

Can you mark the time when concept "France" appeared. And when concept "Clovis is the founder of France" appeared?

Oct 2013
Europix
Can you mark the time when concept "France" appeared. And when concept "Clovis is the founder of France" appeared?
Well, maybe not exactly an answer to Your question, but Philippe II August is the first using in official documents (around 1200) the title of "Rex Franciæ" /King of France in place of "Rex Francorum"/King of Franks.

But he continued to use Rex Francorum"/King of Franks in international documents/treaties.

May 2017
France
I think the reference of Philippe August is very good.In 1200, the fortifications of the height quarters are finished:Cite,la Greve,la Verrerie,Sainte Opportune (caroligian quarters) Saint Jacques la Boucherie,Saint Germain l Auxerrois (river right) and two new quarters on the river left,Place Maubert and Saint Andre des Arts.In 1383,the king Charles V finished the constructions of the fortifications of the 16 quarters:the eight old and Saint Honore,Saint Eustache,les Halles,Saint Denis,Saint Martin,Saint Avoye,Saint Gervais,Saint Antoine.
Some historians try to explain that France borned with the victory a Bouvines of Philippe August against the allies:England of John without lands,Germany with Othon IV,and the milices of Belgic….

Jan 2011
FRANCE
In another way,people speak allways about the gaellic nation of the "parisis"...How can we magine seriously that they were only able to live in the little ridiculous isle of the city ? Nanterre is the only one city of the Seine which had avenues.The avenues of the roman Lutecia have been built by the Romans who had really good architectors.If someone knows the name of a gaellic architector...I am interested.
1- Only non-historians speak of the "nation" of the "parisis". Historian speak of the "tribe" of the "Parisii". There was no nation at the time.
2- Nanterre was called Nemetodurum, and not Lutetia.
3- I am interested to know the name of the architect of Nanterre / Nemetodurum.

May 2017
France
The story of the life of Sainte Genevieve of Paris-in reality she was borned in Nanterre-is the demonstration that the island of the city was at the top of the suburb south of Nanterre:a village of fishermen.But of course it is not good for the tourism.

Similar History Discussions