When photos tell a lie

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Quite right. The photo was taken by Eddie Adams and video was shot by a South Vietnamese cameraman of NBC. The video was shot over the shoulder of Adams. Also exactly during the shot, an ARVN soldier walks by in front of the camera. Therefore that very fateful moment was caught only on the photo. Hence the particular importance of the photo.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Oct 2013
Europix
Quite right. The photo was taken by Eddie Adams and video was shot by a South Vietnamese cameraman of NBC. The video was shot over the shoulder of Adams. Also exactly during the shot, an ARVN soldier walks by in front of the camera. Therefore that very fateful moment was caught only on the photo. Hence the particular importance of the photo.
It's why I said it's obvious just by looking at the two.

BTW, the Briscoe Center for American History has the frames from Eddie Adams' 35 mm film and they're available on-line.

One of the things that can be seen is that Adams, as a lot of the great photographers (and there were more than one great photographers in that war) in the Vietnam War published the photo "as it was shot". Practically no re-framing, no correction.

Last edited:
I was mentioning "practically no re-framing".

One of the reasons can be seen in this example (and I think is matching very well the OP - "when photos tell a lie").

The full photo, cropped left, cropped right .... one shot but three photos, saying three different stories:

(source: Images: A matter of Perspective)
Left - Al Jazeera, right - CNN, centre - reality
Desert Storm photo

Oct 2011
Croatia
These photos are sometimes (often?) presented as people being taken to Jasenovac concentration camp by the Ustashi, despite soldiers clearly being Communist Partisans:

These photos are also presented as from Jasenovac.

From what I found, they were actually taken in Jastrebarsko:
Istina o časnim sestrama i djeci u Jastrebarskom (1.) – narod.hr
Tangentially related, but limited direct connection.

@HackneyedScribe Photos themselves need not be falsified to tell the lie. Lack of context is quite enough.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
When the picture is real, but someone told a lie which became pervasive on the net ...

"The first ambulance" [even on WIKI this picture carries this caption]
f_amb.jpg

Someone posted this picture saying that the vahicle in it was the first ambulance and it became the first ambulance [google "first ambulance" and you will find this photo somewhere].

It's simply an ambulance of a US Navy Yard from 1865CE.

I use this as an example of how internet can give credit and authority to plane falsities [and it's not the picture to tell a lie here].

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the most famous of them all
the falling soldier by frank Capra , a republican militia man during the civil war
probably a fake totally staged picture

1557403276818.png

Similar History Discussions