When photos tell a lie

Oct 2013
Europix
Define "trial" for the purposes of martial law dealing with an unlawful combatant who has been caught red-handed murdering civilians?
It depends on what country we are talking about and the Martial Law.

The question remains: what in that photo is saying or suggesting "being perfectly legal"?

The very question You asked is an indirect proof that it's difficult to approve the sentence being perfectly legal.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I love those click bait "this picture was taken before photoshop existed, so you know it must be real" ads. Can one imagine a stupider statement?
Yes.

A while ago I came upon the kids and friends watching an old black and white horror movie on tv in their hangout in the old barn, some type of period Jack the Ripper thing ; horse carriages, costumes, dank cobble stone, gas lighted streets , etc . I asked what they thought of that . They said it was dull and boring and was not even in color.

I said to them; " Well, back then in the days of horse and carriages and gas lights lighting the streets at night , they had yet to develop color TV. It was all black and white so all their TV movies where made in black and white . "

.... wait for it ....

and the kids nodded and said " Oh .... okay .... 'spose so .... etc . " and went back to their hypnotic watching .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
A toy submarine with some plastic

Cardboard cutouts

I got an imminent suspension warning from another site as someone was posting these pics as proof of fairies and I posted a wiki link which explained this hoax.

Oh .... that happened this century, by the way :D

Apparently I made some of the other posters there 'very upset' .

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I got an imminent suspension warning from another site as someone was posting these pics as proof of fairies and I posted a wiki link which explained this hoax.

Oh .... that happened this century, by the way :D

Apparently I made some of the other posters there 'very upset' .
Still, good for you. One can only hope some of the other watchers of that discussion instead engaged their brains.

But yes, the general level of critical thinking is something the actually needs to be husbanded and cultivated.

And the way the internet tends to work it instead goes for lowest-common-denominator stuff, which when it comes to critical thinking means it's not the upper end of the spectrum that tends to be given preference...

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
He wasn't entitled to a trial. He wasn't in uniform and displaying insignia. That made him a franc-tireur. That's a standard that had been established since at least WW2, when covert operatives out of uniform and spies could be shot out of hand.

From Wikipedia:
Max Hastings, writing in 2018, noted that Lém was in civilian clothes and was alleged to have just cut the throats of South Vietnamese Lt Col Nguyen Tuan, his wife, their six children and the officer’s 80-year-old mother.[7]

According to Article 4 of the Third Geneva Convention of 1949, irregular forces are entitled to prisoner of war status provided that they are commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates, have a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance, carry arms openly, and conduct their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war. If they do not meet all of these, they may be considered francs-tireurs (in the original sense of "illegal combatant") and punished as criminals in a military jurisdiction, which may include summary execution.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
He wasn't entitled to a trial. He wasn't in uniform and displaying insignia. That made him a franc-tireur. That's a standard that had been established since at least WW2, when covert operatives out of uniform and spies could be shot out of hand.

From Wikipedia:
Except, continuing down in the same Wikipedia article, it also says:
In 1978, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) contended that Loan had committed a war crime based on that Library of Congress report, which had concluded that the execution was illegal under Vietnamese law.[14]
At least not a cut and dried case then...

Oct 2009
San Diego
A picture is worth a thousand words. Or are they?

In this day and age, photos can be easily doctored with Photoshop. But even when they are not, a picture can still tell a lie.

Possibly the most famous example is this:

The picture shows the execution of Nguyen Van Lem. A brutal out-of-hand murder in a brutal war, right? Not quite. What the picture doesn't tell you is that the man being shot is a North Vietnamese captain who had earlier in the day murdered several family members of a comrade of the officer on the left, General Nguyen Ngoc Loan.

Loan left Vietnam and settled in the US, where he suffered because of this photo. The US tried to prosecute him for it, but he was acquitted after the photographer Eddie Adams spoke in his defence. His restaurant was vandalised by people who didn't know the story behind the photo.

Discuss, and if you know any other examples, please do post them.
-
-
quaint story-
that does NOT mean it was not a brutal out of hand murder in a brutal war. The man's hands were tied- he was clearly captured, and in that moment no threat to anyone.
He was NOT accorded the treatment prisoners of war are supposed to get according to Geneva convention... He was NOT tried in a military court and sentenced to death.
He was summarily executed by a man who had no authority to do so.

Summary Execution is a War Crime. ( yes- even when the guy had it coming)

Sorry- there is no story that can excuse it, nor make the shooter less of a criminal.
The japanese officers who beheaded captured US and British soldiers felt justified because those soldiers had Killed their fellow Japanese- this is the exact same thing.

Awful things are done in the heat and chaos of war- but they are Still inexcusable. and anyone who does this deserves to be shunned by society, if that society wishes to uphold the true meaning and purpose of personal honor.

Similar History Discussions