Where can I find religion data for British India for the time period between 1872 and 1947?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Where can I find religion data for British India for the time period between 1872 and 1947? Basically, I want to see how the Muslim-Hindu-other percentage composition changed in British India in its entirety as well as in various of its regions between 1872 and 1947.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm delighted! I was able to find religion data for British India in its entirety for all census years between 1881 and 1941 in this 1951 book that is available for free at the Internet Archive:

The Poplation Of India And Pakistan : Kingsley_davis : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Interestingly enough, the Hindu percentage in British India in 1881 was almost the same as the Hindu percentage within India's current borders is projected to be in 2050:

Projected Changes in the Global Hindu Population

In 1881, 75.1% of British India's total population was Hindu while in 2050 76.7% of the population within India's current borders is projected to be Hindu. This shows that even with the loss of overwhelmingly Muslim Pakistan and Bangladesh, relatively low Hindu reproduction is likely to ensure that the demographics of India in 2050 will become not too different from what they were back in 1881.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I'm delighted! I was able to find religion data for British India in its entirety for all census years between 1881 and 1941 in this 1951 book that is available for free at the Internet Archive:

The Poplation Of India And Pakistan : Kingsley_davis : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Interestingly enough, the Hindu percentage in British India in 1881 was almost the same as the Hindu percentage within India's current borders is projected to be in 2050:

Projected Changes in the Global Hindu Population

In 1881, 75.1% of British India's total population was Hindu while in 2050 76.7% of the population within India's current borders is projected to be Hindu. This shows that even with the loss of overwhelmingly Muslim Pakistan and Bangladesh, relatively low Hindu reproduction is likely to ensure that the demographics of India in 2050 will become not too different from what they were back in 1881.
Yes, but compared to 1881, there is no Muslim majority area in India right now except Kashmir and Lakshadweep Islands.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, India is more religiously homogeneous right now than it was back in 1881. I don't have province-level data for 1881, but I do have it for 1941:

Why does Kerala have so many Muslims? Did Muslim merchants stop there on the way to Malaysia and Indonesia (both of which, unlike Kerala, became Muslim-majority)?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Islam spread in Kerala due to trade with Arabs, in North India Islam was brought by Turks, that's why North Indian Muslims follow Hanafi school of Sunni Islam while Kerala Muslims belongs to Shafi'i school. Also, many people were converted during Tipu Sultan's campaign in Malabar.

Even Christianity has 2000 years history in Malabar when many Christians settled in India escaping persecution in middle East, they are referred as Syrian Christian and endorse to orthodox Christianity.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Islam spread in Kerala due to trade with Arabs, in North India Islam was brought by Turks, that's why North Indian Muslims follow Hanafi school of Sunni Islam while Kerala Muslims belongs to Shafi'i school. Also, many people were converted during Tipu Sultan's campaign in Malabar.
Do we know what the Muslim % in Kerala before Tipu Sultan's campaign was? It's interesting that his campaign left such a permanent mark on Kerala in spite of Kerala not enduring centuries of Muslim rule like, say, the Middle East and North Africa did.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Do we know what the Muslim % in Kerala before Tipu Sultan's campaign was? It's interesting that his campaign left such a permanent mark on Kerala in spite of Kerala not enduring centuries of Muslim rule like, say, the Middle East and North Africa did.
I have no idea but Tipu Sultan is known for widespread persecution of Hindu and Christians in Kerala and Karnataka. His campaign were mainly confined to North Kerala.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have no idea but Tipu Sultan is known for widespread persecution of Hindu and Christians in Kerala and Karnataka. His campaign were mainly confined to North Kerala.
Were the territories north of Kerala already under his rule even before his Keralan campaign?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Were the territories north of Kerala already under his rule even before his Keralan campaign?
No. They were under his short rule before British conquest. Some see him great for resisting British, other detest him for persecuting Hindus and Christians. Although, he allied with French to resist British conquest.

Later North Kerala became the part of Madras province under British rule while South Kerala were two Hindu ruled princely states of Travancore and Cochin. While Woodeyar dynasty was restored in Mysore.

Similar History Discussions