Where can I find the fake letter Buck wrote about Elizabeth Of York wanting to Marry Richard 3?

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
Bringing to mind: would Elizabeth really write a letter indicating she wanted Anne dead? I don't really know her character, but that passage seems to me unnecessary and the sort of thing that could really repel people.

Nov 2016
Germany
would Elizabeth really write a letter indicating she wanted Anne dead?
The (possibly) original passage reads:
“…st she thanked him for his many Curtesies and friendly
…as before…
in the cause of…
and then she prayed him to be a mediator for her to the K…
ge who (as she wrote) was her onely joy and maker in…
Worlde, and that she was his…harte, in thoughts, in…and in all, and then she intimated that the better halfe of Ffe…was paste, and that she feared the Queene would neu.…”
The construction 'would never die' was invented by Buck's grandnephew of the same name, George Buck, several decades after Buck's death, to make the then published text as sensational as possible. This is why Buck's grandnephew also added the word 'body' ("in body and in all"), because it is sexually provocative.

It is therefore possible that the 'original' text is authentic, but is distorted by grandnephew Buck's 'reconstruction' in such a way that the suspicion of falsification was raised. The only thing that is certain is that the 'original' text expresses Elizabeth's wish to marry. The option that it is about Richard III depends strongly on the answer to the question whether he was responsible for the death of Elizabeth's brothers. For Elizabeth this could not be a sure thing at the time. However the suspicion might have been enough to make Richard II appear unacceptable for her as a spouse. In the end it is impossible to make a clear statement about the purpose of the 'original' letter.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
United States Of America
The (possibly) original passage reads:

The construction 'would never die' was invented by Buck's grandnephew of the same name, George Buck, several decades after Buck's death, to make the then published text as sensational as possible. This is why Buck's grandnephew also added the word 'body' ("in body and in all"), because it is sexually provocative.

It is therefore possible that the 'original' text is authentic, but is distorted by grandnephew Buck's 'reconstruction' in such a way that the suspicion of falsification was raised. The only thing that is certain is that the 'original' text expresses Elizabeth's wish to marry. The option that it is about Richard III depends strongly on the answer to the question whether he was responsible for the death of Elizabeth's brothers. For Elizabeth this could not be a sure thing at the time. However the suspicion might have been enough to make Richard II appear unacceptable for her as a spouse. In the end it is impossible to make a clear statement about the purpose of the 'original' letter.
I believe it's not real. I just want to see if I can find it, just so I can see the myth that made PG write The White Princess. :rolleyes: