Where could India have had its Lebensraum and when

Nov 2012
Such Lebensraum would probably need to be found west of India due to the fact that China probably wouldn't tolerate Indian expansion into Burma and into other parts of Southeast Asia.
I think in the first millenia AD India could have used SE Asia when it was still under Hindu rule. Cholas,Pallavas and Palas had a great navy. Bali, Java, Cambodia, Southern Cham Vietnam, Thailand, Laos should have all been Indicized. Keralite and Gujarati kings could have used Oman as well.

Jinit

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
India
I think you don't seem to have much idea about Lebensraum. Lebensraum was a concept propagated by lunatics whose other equally fancy full ideas include gasing some six million Jews. It is good that India didn't have its Lebensraum.

Also it is worth mentioning prerequisite for Lebensraum is overcrowding and insufficient living space for particular race in any one region. Something that was never a concern for India in pre modern times (and actually even today India has ample space and resources provided they are used properly and efficiently). Forget about medieval kings sending their people to populate some far away lands, but they would have been rather more concerned keep their own realms well populated and preventing peasants from deserting their villages. One of the largest, intentional well documented colonization in medieval India took place in Bengal where some 6000 - 8000 Brahmin families were settled. Why would they send them to some far away land instead of their own uncultivated lands?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think you don't seem to have much idea about Lebensraum. Lebensraum was a concept propagated by lunatics whose other equally fancy full ideas include gasing some six million Jews. It is good that India didn't have its Lebensraum.
Actually, that appears to have been a Nazi distortion of the concept of Lebensraum. After all, the original proponents of the concept of Lebensraum (thankfully) do not appear to have had the killing of Jews on their agenda:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensraum

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
There was some migration to East Africa of Indians. I could see the highlands of the region being settled by Indians.

If they got a mandate over Mesopotamia that could also work.

There was some migration to British Aden as well.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There was some migration to East Africa of Indians. I could see the highlands of the region being settled by Indians.

If they got a mandate over Mesopotamia that could also work.

There was some migration to British Aden as well.
All of these territories would be rather hard to annex to India, though. :(

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Where could India have had its Lebensraum and when and how could this have been achieved in realistic circumstances?
Looking back at this thread 3.5 years later, I think that the best way for India to get additional space would have been for Britain to keep India united and also incorporate Burma and Sri Lanka into India. In addition, India could have tried to expand into Tibet and/or into Afghanistan. I also suppose that India could have started a war with Iran in order to acquire the rest of Balochistan.

I think that this would be the maximum that India could have realistically gotten--and even this might be stretching it a bit.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
He is talking about settler colonialism--and not all settler colonialism was as brutal as the Nazis. For instance, the French in Algeria were relatively restrained--at least until Algerians began rebelling against them.

Similar History Discussions