Where did Columbus learn Navigation?

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
This appears to be a question for homework. The homework policy at Historum is:

History Homework Policy
Historum offers support and assistance for anyone seeking help with their history homework assignment. Our objective is to guide students by providing sources of information and knowledge to enable them to succeed. When asking homework questions, you're required to show signs of your work before receiving assistance. Some examples to show your work:
  • What relevant sources of information have you found?
  • What are the definitions of the key terms in the question?
  • What is the broader context of the question?
  • What is your preliminary position on the topic?
  • If applicable, what major historical events were taking place in the world at that time?
Homework Integrity
Historum wants to maintain our integrity as a community that aids in learning history. When helping others with their homework, please ensure evidence of their work is provided.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Details of his early life are vague. He was said to have been working on ships since he was 10, so presumably he picked it up sometime after this while learning the basics. His early voyages include working for Spain and Portugal sailing as far north as England and as far south as Ghana.
Edit: He attended Prince Henry's School of Navigation in Portugal.

Reactions: Why History

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
You are Irish ... if you live near to Galway you should know that Columbus was there [heading for Iceland].

Anyway ... to give you neutral indications ...

1. Wonder who were his parents and if overall his father was connected in some way with navigation [I know the answer, but look for it].
2. Check if Columbus said something about when and where he begun to navigate [may be in a letter ...].
3. Think to the context, the historical context of the Italian states in his age.
4. Wonder who navigated around him when he was a teen wanting to build his on life ...
5. Imagine to be a teen surrounded by navigators and that you want to live an adventure ...

If you followed these lines of inquiry, I think you will find the answer to your question.

Reactions: David Vagamundo

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
To all members: Please do NOT answer this question until the OP has demonstrated that he has followed our Homework Help policy.

May 2017
florida
Not to answer the question , but to pose one . Many years ago I read an article that stated that Columbus spent several years with his youngest son at a mission where the son was studying for priesthood . At this mission were stored the journals of Brendan , the Irish monk who was reported to have sailed across the Atlantic and up to the the north-east corner of No. America and back to Ireland , in a leather boat . The author believed that was were Columbus learned of the trade winds , when Columbus departed Spain he sailed South for several days to the Canaries before turning west just as Brendan had done 400 or so years before . I have since lost this material , has any person on here heard of this ?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Not to answer the question , but to pose one . Many years ago I read an article that stated that Columbus spent several years with his youngest son at a mission where the son was studying for priesthood . At this mission were stored the journals of Brendan , the Irish monk who was reported to have sailed across the Atlantic and up to the the north-east corner of No. America and back to Ireland , in a leather boat . The author believed that was were Columbus learned of the trade winds , when Columbus departed Spain he sailed South for several days to the Canaries before turning west just as Brendan had done 400 or so years before . I have since lost this material , has any person on here heard of this ?
It doesn't surprise me that Columbus heard the story of Brendan. I doubt he needed that story to learn of the trade winds. It's true that latitude has a role in determining which direction the wind blows. On his return voyage Columbus went north to the latitude of Bermuda and the Azores and caught an east-bound wind all the way home. He wasn't guessing. He knew the relationship between latitude and wind direction although he probably couldn't explain it scientifically he knew the relationship existed. I strongly suspect he knew about the winds long before he had ever heard of Brendan.

Reactions: Edratman