Where did Knights store their Lances?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Where did knights store their lances when not using them when on campaign? Were they put on supply wagons or was their some lance holding sheathe on their or their squire's saddle?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Pack horses or mules; animals whose purpose was not to carry a rider but to haul equipment, supplies, etc.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
In camp in their tents.
On the march, as said before you have pack mules, carts and wagons to carry your stuff if you don’t want to carry it. If for some reason you’ve lost/can’t afford that stuff your going to have to carry it yourself, give it to your squire/man servant/ retainer to carry.

Apr 2018
USA
Aside from having servants, pack animals, carts, etc. to carry extra lances while on campaign. If a knight needed to march fully armed for some reason but was not currently charging they would sometimes have a small leather loop attached to their saddle or to their right stirrup where they could rest the butt of their lance.

Alternatively you hear of horsemen just resting their lance on their thigh or on the saddle between their legs until ready to use.

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
I always imagined that lances might be provided by those you worked for, or that you would purchase one when needed. It was quite an unweildy item, and how often outside of tourneys would a lance be requured?

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I think tournaments were rife in environments where there wasn't much fighting to be done. It's a toy surely? Don't read of much along these lines in 'Spain' as there was usually a frontier of some sort - against Christian or muslim, either way - to be found.

Be a nightmare carrying them about to war.

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Carts, your pack horse, in a sling by your horse, and / or that is why you have squires - they carry your stuff and if needs be they can use the lance as an improvised spear.

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
But one action and your lance is shattered, so you'll need a few?

I assume in tourneys they used different lances? Presumably provided by the host of the tourney.

In military action, the lance only worked well if the knight was in a group of similarly attired troops, and even then would require specific circumstances to use one. I'm assuming that outside of tourneys, most knights would have had single-hand weapons rather than lugging a bunch of enormous pieces of wood around. Again, maybe the noble they were fighting for would provide the lances?