Where exactly were the Czar's family captured in 1917?

Jul 2009
I know that Nicholas was captured in a railway carriage on his way back to the capital, but where were the Czar's wife, four daughters and son captured? I think it was the Winter palace, but I can not find any information on the internet as to where they were captured.

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
I thought that it was Tsarskoye Selo, but am interested to find out as well.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarskoye_Selo"]Tsarskoye Selo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
Russian history was one of my first loves, history-wise. I think that tidbit came from Nicholas and Alexandra.. either the movie or the book.. I was exposed to both as a teen.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
Do you know what date that was? Because I thought that the family were stuck in the Winter palace, not out of the city.
8 March - Kornilov entered Alexander Palace and met with the Tsaritsa. At that meeting he informed her or the arrests. The arrangement was that the Imperial Convoy were to surrender their posts at 4pm (anyone failing to leave would be arrested). The family remained confined to the palace with the Tsar arriving the following day.

Edvard Radzhinsky, The Last Tsar. The Life and Death of Nicholas II. The information is, in my opinion, fairly accurate. Much of Radzhinsky's book is the verbatim reproduction of documents (diaries, letters). So, according to those people around the Tsaritsa and her family, they were all at the Alexander Palace when arrested. :)

NB - the date (8 March) is by the Old Style calander. This would be 21 March in the New Style.

Similar History Discussions