Where is the most dangerous place in the world?

Oct 2018
Olympia WA, Pacific North West
Generally, as a West Coast guy, we see either Iraq, Syria, or Lybia as the most dangerous areas to have a permanent residence. But my English teacher was just talking about how the Kongo is the worst place to live in the entire world.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
It depends on what you mean ... since I'm an extreme trekker I've visited well dangerous places even without human presence ...

If you think to human societies, for example I would be really glad to visit Kongo ...

But I'm Italian, my perspective is different: generally Italians fear overall organized crime, not dangerous and violent societies. We live in a dangerous and violent society here.

Having to indicate a very dangerous place, I would mention the favelas of Rio De Janeiro in Brazil [and quite generally Brazil].

Mar 2018
UK
Rio de Janiero is fine. As long as you stay out of the Favelas and don't walk around on your own, at night, in unlight roads you're as safe as in Rome.

I think the Gaza strip would feature highly in any list of this kind. North Korea as a whole, although that's a very different kind of danger.

Star

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
USA
According to the Global Peace Index, Syria ranks most dangerous nation. Top ten most dangerous are listed:
Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Lybia, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Central African Republic (CAR), and Russia.

According to the United Nations Office for the Coordingation of Humanitarian Affairs, the top ten highest risk nations are:
Somalia, South Sudan, CAR, Afghanistan, Yemen, DRC, Chad, Iraq, Syria, and Sudan.

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
Honduras has got to be one of the worst. It has the highest murder rate in the world, but isn't considered a conflict zone or anything like that.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Rio de Janiero is fine. As long as you stay out of the Favelas and don't walk around on your own, at night, in unlight roads you're as safe as in Rome.

I think the Gaza strip would feature highly in any list of this kind. North Korea as a whole, although that's a very different kind of danger.
Rio de Janeiro and in general the huge Brazilian cities are far from fine. The crime rate is high. Carjacking, armed robberies, kidnappings and assassinations are pretty common. Every year thousands of Brazilians are murdered. Last year the number almost reached the 60000.

There is currently a wave of migration to Portugal (and to other countries) of middle to high class workers that are running away from the violence in Brazil.

I quickly found an article in English about the subject, but they are easy to find in the net, even more if you speak Portuguese: A Year of Violence Sees Brazil’s Murder Rate Hit Record High

The crime rate is a huge concert for the citizens and was a huge theme in Bolsonaro’s recent campaign.

Reactions: VHS
Mar 2018
UK
Rio de Janeiro and in general the huge Brazilian cities are far from fine. The crime rate is high. Carjacking, armed robberies, kidnappings and assassinations are pretty common. Every year thousands of Brazilians are murdered. Last year the number almost reached the 60000.

There is currently a wave of migration to Portugal (and to other countries) of middle to high class workers that are running away from the violence in Brazil.

I quickly found an article in English about the subject, but they are easy to find in the net, even more if you speak Portuguese: A Year of Violence Sees Brazil’s Murder Rate Hit Record High

The crime rate is a huge concert for the citizens and was a huge theme in Bolsonaro’s recent campaign.
You're right, Rio isn't fine. It is a far more dangerous city than the people who live there have the right to demand.

HOWEVER, it's far shot from being the most dangerous place in the world. It isn't even the most dangerous place in Brazil, which is itself one of the safer countries of South America. Let's try and avoid the hyperbole, the fear of crime can be more paralysing than the crime rate itself.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You're right, Rio isn't fine. It is a far more dangerous city than the people who live there have the right to demand.

HOWEVER, it's far shot from being the most dangerous place in the world. It isn't even the most dangerous place in Brazil, which is itself one of the safer countries of South America. Let's try and avoid the hyperbole, the fear of crime can be more paralysing than the crime rate itself.
Yes, probably is not the most dangerous place in the world. São Paulo is probably worse, and supposedly war zones around the globe are even worse. As for Brazil being one of the safer countries in South America, I don’t think so, I have the idea that Chile, Argentina and Uruguay are much safer.

So, I decided to search for the Global Peace Index report.

For those with patience here is the Global Peace Index report for 2018: http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uploads/2018/06/Global-Peace-Index-2018-2.pdf, in the pages 10 to 11 is the full world list. Brazil in the position #106, after Bolivia (#94), Peru (#74), Argentina (#66), Uruguay (#37), and Chile (#28).

The bad news is that Portugal lost the 3rd place to Austria!!! :D

Is this history?
Nope. Probably should be in the lounge… for those who are thinking to travel and begin to think to avoid certain countries, like Libya, Yemen. Somalia, Iraq, South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Syria, the countries in the bottom of the list and probably not the best places to spend your vacations.

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Yes, probably is not the most dangerous place in the world. São Paulo is probably worse, and supposedly war zones around the globe are even worse.
São Paulo is a lot safer than Rio de Janeiro, in reality, São Paulo as one of the lowest number of violent deaths in Brazil, 7 deaths per 100 thousand, Rio de Janeiro in comparison is 36,7 for 100 thousand, not only that São Paulo from 2006 to 2016 managed to lower the murder rate in 46%, the State of São Paulo also has today Brasil lowest murder rate at 10,9, 100thousand.