where is the responsibility for racist actions?

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
Almost from birth a racist father teaches his son to hate blacks. Just as his son turns 16 years the father loses his job and is replaced by a black male. son shoots and kills this Black man "for his father." Do you think the father ought to be tried as an accessory to this crime

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
Almost from birth a racist father teaches his son to hate blacks. Just as his son turns 16 years the father loses his job and is replaced by a black male. son shoots and kills this Black man "for his father." Do you think the father ought to be tried as an accessory to this crime
Categorically not. As the son is sixteen he is presumably responsible for his own actions. Parental guidance should not necessarily be adhered to slavishly by offspring, why else do most teenagers at some point rebel against their parents? So although the father is guilty of bad advice only the son can be held responsible for murder.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Categorically not. As the son is sixteen he is presumably responsible for his own actions. Parental guidance should not necessarily be adhered to slavishly by offspring, why else do most teenagers at some point rebel against their parents? So although the father is guilty of bad advice only the son can be held responsible for murder.
But you could argue that the father has incited his son to racial hatred. I think that would be a considered an offence in the UK, but I don't know about the US.

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
But you could argue that the father has incited his son to racial hatred. I think that would be a considered an offence in the UK, but I don't know about the US.
I think that would be appropriate and reasonable, but being an accessory to murder is not.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I think that would be appropriate and reasonable, but being an accessory to murder is not.
I suppose it would depend on the legal interpretation. Does it, for example, in this context, amount to incitement to commit murder?

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
I suppose it would depend on the legal interpretation. Does it, for example, in this context, amount to incitement to commit murder?
I see your point. Unless the father categorically encouraged his son to kill the man he could, in my opinion only be charged with incitement to racial hatred. A parent passing on his dislike of black people to his son, while being despicable and in some cases illegal is not the same as encouraging him to murder. My old man left me in no doubt about his contempt for politicians, but as yet I have not felt the urge to murder one, though that could change in the foreseeable future. :)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I see your point. Unless the father categorically encouraged his son to kill the man he could, in my opinion only be charged with incitement to racial hatred. A parent passing on his dislike of black people to his son, while being despicable and in some cases illegal is not the same as encouraging him to murder. My old man left me in no doubt about his contempt for politicians, but as yet I have not felt the urge to murder one, though that could change in the foreseeable future. :)
But is your contempt of politicians something you inherited from your dad or something you developed all on your own? ;)

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
But is your contempt of politicians something you inherited from your dad or something you developed all on your own? ;)
I suppose this raises the question of freewill and predetermination. I think in a court case against the son the law would assume, if he has not been certified as insane, that he was acting of his own freewill and would not bring the question of his environment and upbringing before a jury, unless it could be proved that his father had implicitly encouraged him to murder. In which case this could be used as mitigating circumstances by the defence while leaving the father open to a charge of incitement to murder. Unless, however, it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that this was the case then only the son can be held responsible for his actions.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Why is it always a white hating blacks? Don't tell me it's never the other way around. And where are the Asians? That's racist too and it really bothers me.