WHERE should the perpetrators of the "Novichok" attack be tried if apprehended?

Apr 2017
United Kingdom
WHERE should the perpetrators of the "Novichok" attack be tried if apprehended?

An old saying runs about rabbit stew- "first catch the rabbit". Although British authorities investigating the "Novichok" attack on defector Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia claim to have identified the perpetrators of the attack(and presumably know their names), their appearing in a court of law is a long way away- there is NO extradition treaty between the Russian Federation and the UK and anyway the Russian constitution reportedly forbids extradition of their citizens( the prime suspect in the Litvinenko poisoning back in 2006, Andrei Lugovoi was reportedly made a member of thr Russian parliament), but IF they are captured, where should they be tried? As the attack on the Skripals involved a banned nerve agent( a weapon of mass destruction which could ahve killed hundreds if not thousands of people rather than just one), I personally think they should be tried not at the Old Bailey but at the International Criminal Court at The Hague( this is perfectly within the ICC's jurisdiction as the UK has signed and ratified the Rome Statute). The Kremlin( meaning you know who) will predictably huff and puff but can do nothing of consequence- the prospect of "Spetsnaz"( Special Forces of the Russian Army, similar to the SAS) storming the Hague to free their compatriots is pretty unlikely.

Anyone else think as I do?

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
lol your obsession with the ICC continues

Ignoring the modern politics, i think whatever British intelligence service blamed Russia for the attack should hang their head in shame. if there was a attack that is :)

Apr 2017
United Kingdom
Well, if something along the lines of the "Novichok" attack(which could have killed hundreds if not THOUSANDS of innocent people than just one woman at the time of writing) does NOT merit investigation and possible prosecution(providing of course the British Government of the day waives jurisdiction), then neither the ICC or international law has any reason for being!

Terry

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
Well, if something along the lines of the "Novichok" attack(which could have killed hundreds if not THOUSANDS of innocent people than just one woman at the time of writing) does NOT merit investigation and possible prosecution(providing of course the British Government of the day waives jurisdiction), then neither the ICC or international law has any reason for being!

Terry
you are exaggerating, you cannot put someone on trial for a crime they did not commit. or for a crime that did not happen.

Vaeltaja

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
you are exaggerating, you cannot put someone on trial for a crime they did not commit. or for a crime that did not happen.
I'm pretty sure that even the possession of a chemical weapons is a crime. Let alone any kind of use outside of very short and explicit list. And given how the used substance caused injuries it would also count both as an attempted murder as well as an aggravated assault.

Last edited:

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I'm pretty sure that even the possession of a chemical weapons is a crime. Let alone any kind of use outside of very short and explicit list. And given how the substance used injuries it would also count both as an attempted murder as well as an aggravated assault.
Indeed. I realise espionage and defection are a rough game but in this case a totally innocent member of the public has recently died as a result of this. And recent news reports in the UK suggest that the police now have some idea of the identity of the perpetrators using cctv.

Feb 2016
Japan
If we have no extradition treaty with Russia the point is mute.
I’d respond with the following measures.
Increase the army/airforce and Navy.
Spend more on the defence and intelligence budget.
Take aggressive action against spies and assassins before they leave. Don’t bother with trials ... take them out.

Similar History Discussions