Where was the exact location of the arabian peninsula when islam started?

Nov 2015
South africa
I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question, but where was it located exactly? I notice the use of pearls and corals and I was curious, what kind of sea was located in that section of the arabian peninsula?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Arabs were good traders also before Islam appeared in the Arab peninsula. They had no troubles in appreciating pearls and corals also from other seas.

Anyway, the Red Sea is rich of corals and pearls as well [also the Gulf, as for I remember, has got a good quality of natural pearls].

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
it was in the same place as today, or if we can believe to the wiki and the Arabian plate moves 20-25 mm/year then it was around 300 meters souther 1400 years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Plate (that is insignifcant change). The same seas surrendered th Arabian penninsula as today.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Arabian peninsula did not move... same place as always. There was quite a large trade network between Arabia, East Africa, India, Persia, and parts of Europe long before Islam and pearl divers and coral harvesting was occurring pre-Roman times.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I think that the OP wonders if "Arabia" [a geographical name] wasn't given to a different region before Islam appeared.

It's like to say that the name moved with a nomad population who called "Arabia" also the new place where they settled.

Jan 2011
Bangsar
It started in Hejaz, an area encompases the city states of Medina,Mecca and Taif. Hejaz nowadays is the whole peninsular, back then only those three cities and their area of influence.

Jan 2013
I think that the OP wonders if "Arabia" [a geographical name] wasn't given to a different region before Islam appeared.

It's like to say that the name moved with a nomad population who called "Arabia" also the new place where they settled.
The term 'Arabia' originates from the Roman province of the same name, roughly similar to the modern country of Jordan. However the desert areas beyond on the peninsula proper were usually called 'Arabia Magna'.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
It started in Hejaz, an area encompases the city states of Medina,Mecca and Taif. Hejaz nowadays is the whole peninsular, back then only those three cities and their area of influence.
Interesting. I can't comment on 'Hejaz,' but I know the area around Dahran is called "The Eastern Province' to distinguish it from the rest of Saudi Arabia. Is there another name for the western part of the country if not 'Hejaz?'