Where would a Fascist China seek to expand?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If China would have begun industrializing earlier, avoided the warlord era, and became some sort of Fascist in the 1930s or 1940s, where would it seek to expand?

Also, would the other Great Powers have formed an anti-China coalition in response to Chinese aggression in this scenario like they did back in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion?

Dec 2018
Australia
Two things come to mind.
Would it ally with Japan?
This would affect the war in the Pacific.
Japan can put more effort into the Naval war, as they wouldn't have to be stuck in China
India might actually fall in this scenario. Allowing the Japanese to move through into Western India, Afghanistan, Iran, and even up into southern Russia.
More units could be committed to Pearl Harbour. And it might come sooner, while the carriers were still in harbour.

Would it be strongly anti-Soviet?
Would China invade Russia? Would the Japanese support them?
Would this necessitate the Russians moving troops across. And even if they don't need extra the Siberian troops wouldn't be able to provide support at the Battle of Moscow.

Dec 2018
Australia
Korea.
Maybe Japan.
Parts of Mongolia, Vietnam, Russia?
Japan became fascist at about the same time. And with a giant Soviet bear over them are they really going to start fighting?
And wasn't Korea controlled by Japan.
Mongolia and Russia would have to be taken on together as a result of their treaty.
And Vietnam would have to wait for the European Theater to heat up before taking on French Indochina as the British would most likely help.

Oct 2015
Norway
There are several possibliities. I think one area a fascist China would try to exapand is where China is trying to expand today: The South China Sea.
Attacking Siberia would be tempting because of the natural resources, but USSR was a major power. Perhaps a fascist China would try to exploit Stalin's purges of the military in the 1930's?

Here is an interesting thought: Japan, Germany and Italy were part of the Axis, but there was next to no cooperation. What if China was a part of the Axis powers, with or without Japan? China and Germany were colser than Gemany and Japan, so there could have cooperated more. The obvious way to cooperate would be against the USSR. How would that have worked out? Troops from Siberia helped save Moscow in 1941. What if those troops had been tied up by fascist Chinese troops?

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
There are several possibliities. I think one area a fascist China would try to exapand is where China is trying to expand today: The South China Sea.
Attacking Siberia would be tempting because of the natural resources, but USSR was a major power. Perhaps a fascist China would try to exploit Stalin's purges of the military in the 1930's?
Sure Siberia would have been the most obvious option. Not easy, but obvious. History teaches that land invasions are well more successful than attempts to attack a land beyond a sea. So Siberia was a better option than Japan. Moreover, Korea is a little peninsula from a Chinese perspective.

The alternative was India, but India in the 30's was in the British Empire and it was better not to annoy it.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I doubt this fascist China would have allied itself with Japan. Fascist regimes are often ultra-nationalistic and Japan quite clearly had ambitions to expand into China and could have easily been portrayed as a big enemy that this Chinese fascist regime was protecting the Chinese people from (similar to how the Nazis claimed they were protecting Germans from Bolshevism). If anything, I would assume fascist China would become an enemy of Japan.

Oct 2015
Norway
You're most likely right. The two countries would have had a "cold war" at best, but I think a war over Korea is more likely. I wonder what country would ally with nazi Germany? I think Prussia (and Tom Cruise, of course :p) trained the modern Japanese army, so there was a link there.

Feb 2014
Miami
You're most likely right. The two countries would have had a "cold war" at best, but I think a war over Korea is more likely. I wonder what country would ally with nazi Germany? I think Prussia (and Tom Cruise, of course :p) trained the modern Japanese army, so there was a link there.
I am certain the Germans would probably had allied the Chinese. Especially as Japan had attacked and taken colonies from the Germans only a two decades recently and once was an ally of the British. I’m surprised how history came around with the British and Japanese ending their alliance.

Similar History Discussions