Which Allied Nation took out most of different branches Axis Armed Forces during World War 2 ?

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
I believe the vast majority of Lend-Lease tanks in the Soviet Union were used for crew training purposes. There were exceptions of course, but those were the exceptions...

Umm, in that case, Soviet Union contributed the most to the defeat of the Japanese.... Soviets had something like ~600,000 Japanese POWs.
Nope, 500,000 - 700,000 Japanese dead in China, + another half million+ of MIA, the Japanese clearly suffered the most in China.

In any event, my point wasn't that casualties determine who did the most in the war, (they don't ) my objection was citing "casualties" and excluding PoWs.

Aug 2014
New York, USA
In any event, my point wasn't that casualties determine who did the most in the war, (they don't ) my objection was citing "casualties" and excluding PoWs.
Yes, but including surrendering soldiers who became POWs after the country stopped fighting is different to casualties or POWs captured during encirclement battles. The difference is the POWs captured during the battle (for example Stalingrad) didn't do so voluntarily. You can also say that technically US inflicted the most "casualties" on the Germans, since the Germans surrendered to the Americans in their millions by the end of 1945.
You are, of course, free to think that 6,000 Germans giving up at the end of the war and surrendering to 100 US soldiers is equivalent to the Battle of Prokhorovka. If we are using your counts, there are probably individual US soldiers who "inflicted more casualties" to the Germans, than entire Soviet divisions, simply because they were processing surrendering German soldiers.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions