Which ancient civilisation had a bigger impact on the world: Ancient Greece or the Romans

More influential ancient civilisation?

• Greece

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Rome

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
Mar 2018
UK
What do you mean, exactly? “Just took mathematical results as something true”
Do you mean that they didn’t use mathematical equations?
Having equations or not is really not at all relevant here.

Imagine a wise man tells you that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 for right angle triangles, and you've never heard of this before. If you're Egyptian or Babylonian you'd probably just trust the wise man, or maybe draw some triangles, get you're ruler out and measure them. After a few different tries you'll see that it works, and take this as a fact of life. Very useful for making sure buildings are straight and the like. If you're Pythagoras, you'll wonder why it's true and end up with a proof that shows it *must* be true for every right angle different. The latter is mathematics, the former is just empiricism about numbers and shapes.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Which had a bigger impact? A tough call. Greece may have laid the foundation in many areas, although Rome took many of those ideas and creations and improved them through advances and innovations. Furthermore, Rome certainly had its own achievements in areas like architecture and law.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The question is defective since Greek culture was spread by both Alexander and the Romans. The Romans were also influenced early by the Etruscans. If I had to pick, it was Rome that directly influenced European culture and it was the Latin language that was the essential lingua franca of Europe until the 18th century.

Jan 2019
Europe
I would say that Ancient Greece with cities like Athens, Thebes and Sparta were the most important centers of development regarding warfare, science, culture. Whatever came afterwards was a development of what the Greeks struggled to achieve. The biggest fault the Ancient Greeks had is that they never made a federation and united all the Greek Cities into one nation so they could keep the following roman and barbarian incursions and become the greatest and most skilled generals, scientists and artists for ages to come.

Apr 2019
Mumbai
Having equations or not is really not at all relevant here.

Imagine a wise man tells you that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 for right angle triangles, and you've never heard of this before. If you're Egyptian or Babylonian you'd probably just trust the wise man, or maybe draw some triangles, get you're ruler out and measure them. After a few different tries you'll see that it works, and take this as a fact of life. Very useful for making sure buildings are straight and the like. If you're Pythagoras, you'll wonder why it's true and end up with a proof that shows it *must* be true for every right angle different. The latter is mathematics, the former is just empiricism about numbers and shapes.

There is no proof that Pythagoras proved it.

Pythagorean theorem - Wikipedia

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Pythagoras proof is pure geometry ,
he folded the areas along the triangle sides and demonstrated that the two smaller areas cancelled the hypotenuse one
it's quite simple ,did it myself for fun

Mar 2019
Cisalpine Gaul (Italy)
Which ancient civilisation had a more lasting impact in terms of culture, influence, etc. the Romans or Greeks?
I Think Creece, without it the Roman's would be a bunch of barbarians. Is good to remember the fact that Roman literature was started by a Greek. Rome was just a Greece v.2
Rome exported this culture, making it the most important.

Mar 2018
UK
Pythagoras proof is pure geometry ,
he folded the areas along the triangle sides and demonstrated that the two smaller areas cancelled the hypotenuse one
it's quite simple ,did it myself for fun

Folding paper is not geometry and not a proof. To be a proof, you have to show that it is true for *all* possible right angle triangles.

@Amitabh Interesting, I thought he had. Latter greeks definitely proved it though. Is it known if it was proved before them?

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Except the Romans conquered the east as much as the west.

Quite frankly we wouldn't recognize western civilisation without the Germanics turning up and putting a distinct spin on things either.
Is that true? Certainly the agermans not contributed a great deal to Western civilization. Especially in Modern times. That seems me a bit much though.