Which army uniform is it?

May 2017
Israel
Hello.
My great grandmother Laura kohn was born in 1894 to a Jewish German family that lived in Munich.
I found a photo of her in days near world war 1 with her siblings. One of them (his name was probably Heini or Oscar )wears uniform. Which army had this uniform? (Austro Hungarian/ German etc )

In the second photo its her husband Arnold that wears different uniform. Which army had this one?

Thank you very much!

First pic with her brother-
https://ibb.co/d76tiF
Pic with husband
https://ibb.co/hxQKOF

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Can't say about the first photo due to his posture. I can't see if he has anything on the collar, if the uniform has pockets, what the belt looks like, how many buttons etc. Since you say she was born in Munich, it'd make sense for the uniform to be Bavarian (it looks somewhat like a Bavarian Waffenrock). By the looks it could perhaps be something Austrian-Hungarian as well although it probably isn't, unless they moved across the border.

The second photo shows an Austrian-Hungarian uniform for sure although I have never seen a collar quite like this. Might be Landwehr (?).

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Can't say about the first photo due to his posture. I can't see if he has anything on the collar, if the uniform has pockets, what the belt looks like, how many buttons etc. Since you say she was born in Munich, it'd make sense for the uniform to be Bavarian (it looks somewhat like a Bavarian Waffenrock). By the looks it could perhaps be something Austrian-Hungarian as well although it probably isn't, unless they moved across the border.

The second photo shows an Austrian-Hungarian uniform for sure although I have never seen a collar quite like this. Might be Landwehr (?).
That A-H uniform appears to be the later field grey (not like the German F.G.) introduced in 1916. The regimental color has been reduced to a stripe on the stand-and-fall collar.

Osprey, The A-H forces of WW I, vol 1 and 2.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
That A-H uniform appears to be the later field grey (not like the German F.G.) introduced in 1916. The regimental color has been reduced to a stripe on the stand-and-fall collar.

Osprey, The A-H forces of WW I, vol 1 and 2.
Could easily be, now that you say it. I'm not that knowledgable on the later ones. Or the earlier ones. Most of the time I just know it's from A-H when I see it, can tell artillery from infantry, mountain troops and cavalry. I'm not too familiar with all the details though. :)

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The first one reminds the Austrian Uhlan cavalry [honestly I had a doubt ... I've some family recalls from WWI German cavalry]. The German Uhlan cavalry units [as for I know] had two lines of buttons. But I can be wrong ... it's just about family recalls.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
The first one reminds the Austrian Uhlan cavalry [honestly I had a doubt ... I've some family recalls from WWI German cavalry]. The German Uhlan cavalry units [as for I know] had two lines of buttons. But I can be wrong ... it's just about family recalls.
A-H Uhlan and Dragoon uniforms are very similar, the helmet's the best indicator to the difference. A-H Uhlans were mostly recruited in Polish Lands though, Galicia and there about (I think). If the guy is A-H cavalry he's more likely a dragoon, hussars were recruited in Hungarian Lands. Him being in a German uniform would make the most sense though, being he's from Bavaria. Until 1914 Bavarian uniforms can look quite fitting to the photo.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I am always impressed with the knowledge and skills that are demonstrated on Historum whenever someone asks for an identification of an item or uniform.

Kudos all.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
I concur with the identification on the second image: KuK Armee post-1915.

The first image is very difficult. About the only identifying feature present is the size and shape of the cuffs and the very common stand collar. Unfortunately, I have found examples of that collar and cuff combination in every army between the Baltic and the Balkans.

On the assumption that the pictures were taken roughly contemporaneously, it's probably another KuK Armee uniform.