Which borderline European countries do you consider as European?

Which of these countries do you see as European?:

• Total voters
May 2018
Poland
I added also Russia because - although its origins are European - today most of its territory is located outside of Europe:

- Russia
- Kazakhstan
- Georgia
- Armenia
- Azerbaijan
- Turkey
- Cyprus
- Northern Cyprus
- Malta
- Israel

Edit: If possible, can some moderator edit the poll and add also two more options to it - Abkhazia and South Ossetia?

Last edited:
Jun 2018
United States of America
Malta is not considered European? That one surprised me because I always considered it within the European boundaries.

May 2018
Poland
Malta is not considered European? That one surprised me because I always considered it within the European boundaries.
Located between Europe and Africa, populated by people who speak a Semitic language related to Arabic.

Definitely can be included in this poll, because some people might consider it as "not European enough".

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Northern Cyprus is not a country, recognized as such only by Turkey.

It is the occupied territory of Cyprus, the only country in the island.

May 2018
Poland
Northern Cyprus is not a country, recognized as such only by Turkey.

It is the occupied territory of Cyprus, the only country in the island.
I was hesitating whether to add it or not. Same with Abkhazia and South Ossetia. I did not add Abkhazia and South Ossetia because they used to be Georgian and are Russia's puppets now - and we already have both Georgia and Russia in the poll.

But Northern Cyprus has been de facto independent for a longer time.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
When one says European what one implies is Western European, from a cultural point of view. So none of the countries mentioned can be considered. The same goes for Eastern European countries too.

May 2018
Poland
When one says European what one implies is Western European, from a cultural point of view.
What does Portugal and Scotland have in common - from a cultural point of view?

What is this "Western European" culture that includes both Portugal and Scotland?

Or Spain and Iceland? Or Switzerland and Ireland - what do they have in common?

Last edited:

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I was hesitating whether to add it or not. Same with Abkhazia and South Ossetia. I did not add Abkhazia and South Ossetia because they used to be Georgian and are Russia's puppets now - and we already have both Georgia and Russia in the poll.

But Northern Cyprus has been de facto independent for a longer time.
Yes, independent as much as occupied territories are. There is a large Turkish force still there, it is essentially a Turkish protectorate. Not being controlled by the country it belongs to is not equal to being a country of its own.

May 2018
Poland
Yes, independent as much as occupied territories are. There is a large Turkish force still there, it is essentially a Turkish protectorate. Not being controlled by the country it belongs to is not equal to being a country of its own.
It is populated by Turkish-speaking (not Greek-speaking) Cypriots as well.

In general it's sufficiently different to include it as another option in the poll.

I should have included Abkhazia and South Ossetia too, but I just forgot.